Sundown Audio

How low can voltage dope before damage?

CNF Kevosinn

12.4 doesn't seem all that bad to me.. If that was the "magic" number I doubt that some amplifier manufacturers would rate their amps at 11.9 etc.

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw

It depends what is causing the low voltage.

If you are getting low voltage because of something electrical (as in you are pulling mainly from batteries) you can get away with some drop.

If you are getting low voltage because your amplifier is entering thermal cascade you've already done the damage and its just a matter of time before it pops.

EDIT

The reason it is bad depends on the amp. Say you had a regulated power supply amplifier that produces 2KW at 14v. The input side of the amplifier will try to consume more amperage if the voltage drops to keep the output side operating at 2KW. If the input side tries to consume too much power then it will enter a thermal cascade where it cannot dissipate enough heat from the mosfets during their off cycle to offset the heat generation of the on cycle. Heat means the mosfet needs to be on longer as it creates more resistance internally.. more on cycle means less off cycle which means more heat. You can think of a mosfet as a lot like a fuse. When a fuse is cold it can withstand more than its rated power for a certain period of time. When a fuse is hot it will pop a lot faster.

After enough heat and resistance builds up the mosfet will basically melt down or begin to internally degrade due to electromigration. When that happens the magic smoke gets released.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

So then it sounds like it is really only a big deal in amps with regulated power supplies?

So then it sounds like it is really only a big deal in amps with regulated power supplies?

Most amps these days are regulated, or the ones that most people run these days are.

You dont need to have a regulated amp to have the problem though.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

Most amps these days are regulated, or the ones that most people run these days are.

Just to clarify: Don't regulated power supplies put out the same amount of power regardless of the input voltage?

Low voltage causes components to heat up, and short. Amps blow all the time directly from low voltage.

I may be mistaken but I believe the power supply on the amp is one of the first to go from low voltage?

This is true from my experience. I lost an amp due to low voltage and the power supply was hit.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

Just to clarify: Don't regulated power supplies put out the same amount of power regardless of the input voltage?

Yes, which can increase the stress on them if they were built to tighter tolerances. This is why you can see some have "larger" input sides than the output side, to make up for low voltage situations.

Hammerdown... 1%

If that's the case, then why does it seem like lots of amps (DC, Crescendo, AB, AQ, Sundown, etc) put out more power the higher the input voltage, and less power as the input voltage drops? Does that mean they aren't regulated, and if not: do they still have the low voltage vulnurability?

And I don't mean to sound like I'm arguing... This is just something that I have never been able to get a complete answer to and I'm trying to wrap my brain around it

Archived