Second Skin Audio

New box design for HCCA122, please check!

Anyone else have any input?

Im going to step in and say the box is too big, thats why its so peaked at 33 hz, then rapidly falls off quick in both directions, so lets say its done and in your car, that box will likely play 28hz-38, but keep in mind, either side of the 33 hz will loose volume output very fast.

several years back we put a type X in a box design for a type R, and its response look almost identical to your graph, and your only choice is to find a whole bunch of 33hz songs because thats the only place it hits really good.

try to plot that out so it has a little more of a curve on it. rather than "/\"

Purple, how do I get more of an even look without sacrificing total output?

where did you get 3 cubes from? please dont tell me winisd told you.

No sir it was just a guess.

all you need to do is shrink the box size, some subs just do not like larger boxes, that type X fucking hated it, and by the looks of it that orion does too,

plot it at 2.5 cubes, then post a pic of the graph. i assist you the best I can over the net here, ive ran that program for 12 years worth of box making, lots of boxes, I learned alot, it was stated that once this is in your car it will all change, which yea things will be different, but the is very accurate in telling us how this woofer is going to perform.

Vent mach thread, read through it, the box is everything, but the vent mach is the deal breaker on how this thing is going to sound,

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/142099-vent-mach-dd9512/

XS-power1.jpg

I know you like the sounds of that 6db gain, but I can tell you by the looks of that graph w/ out looking at the actual specs of your woofer, is geared more towards the SQ side than SPL, yea, they can take a lot of power and still will get loud, but that sub is obviously very very picky when it comes to its enclosures, and it likes them small, now all that being said, double check ALL the parameters you typed in, because if something was keyed in incorrect it could throw off the whole thing.

from the years and years of plotting subs, SQ subs always seem to go peaked like that when trying to increase the output on a box design, where SQL and SPL subs can hold a curve better, (a much wider HZ range) as you continue to increase the box size to get gains.

XS-power1.jpg

I thought the box you were plotting was 3 cu ft, for some reason, im out of it today,

nevermind on the SQ deal, your volume now is 4.6 cu ft, try 4 cubes, then, 3.75cubes see how it graphs, and what your gain is, also can you et me a better pic of your graph where I can read the hz on the frequency response?

sorry about that

XS-power1.jpg

What is going ON in here. An I missing sometning? Are we suggesting 3.5-4.5 cubes for a single 12?!?! Seriously, tell me where I missed something.....

if he is already plotting it at 4.6 and it reads like that, i guessing it will have a better response with a 3.5, but yea, now that im thinking about it, i think he may have some parameters entered wrong.

in the past almost every single 12" setup ive done the box was between 3.25-3.75 internal volume, and had great results, on mid level woofers, these higher end ones are a lot different though, and deffinetly dont need tons of airspace to get great performance

XS-power1.jpg

this one was about 3.5 internal volume, Concept PT 12 was the speaker, that was the loudest and best sounding system i've ever had, I did 143.3 legal, at a db drag, off a stock cd player at around 34hz, running off of the mtx 1500d whatever it was called. I then added a kenwood excellon, and one of those 100lb batteries, I did not get it metered because my car got robbed, but my friend running 2 concept pt 15"s off of twice as much power doing 150-151 will still to this day tell people how much louder that one 12" was than his 2 15s in an explorer. I could never find a PT 12 again after that, which sucks, because I recovered the box out of some ones car that was showing me they're stereo one day, still have that box too. its my trophy, and if I ever find another PT12 im gonna snatch that shit up.

2428400025_large.jpg

XS-power1.jpg

Drivers USED to require tons of space. Most modern day subs are built to perform in much smaller enclosures. I've never played with the 12.2 Orion's, but I can't imagine they'd need over 2.5-2.75 for a single.

Yea I do agree with you here, the response on his box at the 4.6 cubes should probably be even a much larger peak than it already is.

XS-power1.jpg

Archived