honda owners any exp with gm alts??

I have a 1996 civic 1.6 sohc d16y8 and was looking for an alternative ho alternator. Sure the way to go would bc dc mechman or singer an advoid all problems. But i want to start out small and kind of on a budget. I just have an aq1200d but even that @ 1 ohm is drawing too much from the electrical. I have big three done and that did not make a difference hardly. But from what i hear the denso oem is only 40A 60 max... ive heard of several guys use a cs130d gm alt and it drops right in with three washers. But how would the voltage regular work? Being gm and honda. And i have even heard of someone using a large case gm alt in thier crx. Also "Tenny" alts offered me an alternator which was gm an they said i would get a battery light bc all you have to do is hook up the charge wire. If i get another alt i want it to be done right or safe anyways. guys with any input or experience please help me lol. Thanks

1995 Integra GSR (DB8)

Pioneer 3200-DVD

6.5 rockford fosgate 2-way fronts

6.5 rockford fosgate 3-way rear

saz-3000D

(2) 12" SA-12s

mwspllogo.jpg

I have no experience with trying to fit a GM into a civic, but you mentioned your on a budget.....Most likely, a direct replacement high output (same case, more amperage) for your civic is going to be cheaper than a large case GM....Definitely won't be a 300 amp GM or anything, but would be a good improvement over stock. How old is the battery you have in it too? If its years old, you might want to consider getting an AGM battery and see if that helps.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

I've seen the GM alt in a Honda it bolted up, ran externally. The battery light isn't a big deal. If you have a voltage gauge hooked up, then you can see what your voltage is. I think it was a 200 amp Tenney, they are happy with it.

Yeah i have the typical stinger voltage meter. So i could just hook up the my two charge wires and good to go? And the battery light is only thing it shows? I was concerned it would throw codes or whatnot.

1995 Integra GSR (DB8)

Pioneer 3200-DVD

saz-3000D

(2) 12" SA-12s

mwspllogo.jpg

Oh an does anyone know all the gm alts that would fit in there? Ik there is the cs130 but are there others? And what amperage is the cs130

1995 Integra GSR (DB8)

Pioneer 3200-DVD

saz-3000D

(2) 12" SA-12s

mwspllogo.jpg

The red battery icon is the only one that I believe that is thrown off. I'd give him a call Monday and ask him some questions about the install and if he can include in depth instructions when you order. Buy running it externally you can set the voltage where ever you want. I have mine @ 14.9-15.0 and the 12 v batteries have been fine.

Do understand im looking for a budget friendly alternative. For the money on the tenny i would just pay more to get a dc or mechman.. i want to be able to buy the gm alt and do it myself. I dnt see anypoint paying these new h/o companys for the same alt with small modifications that i can buy twice as cheap at an autoparts store. Dc, mechman and singer i can see paying the $$$ for. They machine theyre own housings and whatnot to build it per apllication. Get what you pay for. But i dnt see a point paying nearly the same $$$$ for a gm alt you can pick up cheap.

1995 Integra GSR (DB8)

Pioneer 3200-DVD

saz-3000D

(2) 12" SA-12s

mwspllogo.jpg

I do believe you are the guy that i got a text from Sodfamily about by accident lol

I know Chris Grant is running a mechman in his accord but from what i have seen of that set up since i have done a belt replacement on it for him a while back, its not my idea of a real great set up in my opinion although his is a bit of an older bracket set up from them.

As far as higher output stock alts for like a gm, Talk to Jody owens with the black Tahoe that Arik did the build on and see which options he ran into with the napa high output alts like he put on his tahoe. You may have to make your own brackets however but if that is something you arent equiped to deal with, you may be stuck having to just shell out some extra cash and get it as a replacement model ready to bolt in from the likes of DC Power or such. I have seen their Honda applications and its a nice piece.

As you said, you get what you pay for and if you can afford to bite the bullet now, you shouldnt have to upgrade the alt again at a later date when you go bigger.

P.S. I can feel your pain on doing brackets since i had to do brackets for both of my alts in my Kia which is running 2 Dc Power 320hp alts. (Currently one at the moment since last summer got to be a hot S.O.B. and i put the a/c back on.)

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

Yes i am. Arik quoted me a 200 A gm alt for 325 shipped but i got no info back on it. If it was just hook up the charge wire and go or the real deal. Have no idea on the mfg. As far as brackets go i can fab anything as im a welder and have wide access to toola. I was told on the sc130 gm alt all i need is three washers and it fits perfect.

1995 Integra GSR (DB8)

Pioneer 3200-DVD

saz-3000D

(2) 12" SA-12s

mwspllogo.jpg

Idk ig im wanting to experiement with the whole gm thing first bc if ik i can pick up a gm alt for cheap wether it be ebay or my local salvage yard i can experiment with it an trust me any GM alt would be a tremendous upgrade from the densos that come stock on these hondas.. probly 40amps if that hot. And the amp i got now will draw 100 or so. And soon i will need 3k for this setup. But the 1200d is fine enough the break my subs in. I know in the future il probly say hell with it an get a dc power.. but for now i want to learn all the possible tricks an loopholes

1995 Integra GSR (DB8)

Pioneer 3200-DVD

saz-3000D

(2) 12" SA-12s

mwspllogo.jpg

Archived