Tuners & CAI on a Pickup

Trying to boost my truck's performance a bit. At the moment, I've been getting 12-13 city, 15 highway. Been fixing all immediate problems (o2 sensor, fuel sensor which turned out to be a broken solder joint, heater core which is in the process as we speak, and eventually transmission rebuild), and also replaced spark plugs as it turns out they were pretty wore down, so hopefully that will help. Once the transmission is rebuilt (which may be as soon as next week) I'm going to be looking at basic mods to my truck to increase performance. One of my friends has a 2006 Sierra similar to my truck (5.3 V8, 4WD z71, etc) and just installed a Spectre CAI and a Bully Dog GT tuner, and he's saying he's getting 22mpg highway. I'm obviously not just going to attain that, as his probably ran a bit better than mine, but my main concern is if the CAI is good enough for the price, and if anyone has recommendations as far as tuners go.

POTATO!

Longtube headers and custom tune is best bang for the buck, CAI doesn't do awhole lot, just change the filter out unless you want to spend $200+ on a nice look CAI, they are pretty much for looks on these trucks.

I am assuming 99-06 range GM 5.3 pickup???

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

true tune, hand helds are useless. cai doesnt do much really. longtubes and full exhaust will help also. but the number one thing is drive your truck right.

i have a 99 5.3 z71 and i got 19 mpg with cruise control set at 80. thats with true dual exhaust, true tune, and cai. but now my gas millage has gone down because i installed cam and stall.

99 Gmc sierra extended cab

front speakers: DB drive 6.5

back speakers: DB drive 6.5

amp: none right not

subs: none right now

Future

waiting to get my 2 skar vvw 8s installed

Change your gear ratio for your suited driving style. If your doing heavy highway driving, 3.08's are perfect with a 4L60E. I can get 22 highway with my truck, Vortec 350/4L60E/3.08's, but I get 12-15ish city too. If your driving a lot in town, 3.73's and keeping it out of overdrive can help out.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Change your gear ratio for your suited driving style. If your doing heavy highway driving, 3.08's are perfect with a 4L60E. I can get 22 highway with my truck, Vortec 350/4L60E/3.08's, but I get 12-15ish city too. If your driving a lot in town, 3.73's and keeping it out of overdrive can help out.

That's the problem, I do a lot of both. I'm not sure if the 3.08's would be better for emergency response as well though. I'd like to get 15 city and 20 highway minimum, and try and keep it cheap as possible, but not too cheap.

POTATO!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a little update, my trans is being rebuilt as we speak. Friend of dad's is rebuilding it and putting a new torque converter on for $1000, so I'm happy for that, it should solve some of my gas problems (trans has been going out and I think the torque converter was failing as well), I was only getting 12mpg hwy on my last run for work -.- so after this I'm hoping for a decent (but cheaper) CAI like the Spectre's, then working on fixing what I need to tune.

POTATO!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the k&n 57 series CAI on my 06 silverado with the 5.3. In all honesty, can't tell a lick of a difference performance or fuel mileage wise. I like to imagine sometimes that it sounds cool. Want to get a tune for mine but not sure what I would do since its a daily driver during the week and want fuel mileage, then pulling a trailer on the weekends.

Archived