Second Skin Audio

I chink I blew my sub :-/

I was running a Eminent Audio 2k on a SAZ-2500d. The othe day it was randomly cutting out then coming back on so I had figured it was just a loose connection. I checked all the connections and they were fine. Yesterday I turned the radio on and had no bass. I lightly pushed on the cone and the sub started working fine with no rattle or anything. Today it wouldn't come on again so I pushed the cone again and now it is only working when I push on the cone. I haven't taken it out to test the coils yet but does this sound like the sub is blown? If so what would make it work fine after pushing the cone?

probably shouldn't do that... blowing subs can get expensive ;-)

on a more serious note at least in my experience when my subs were blown I had smoke and a nasty stench... the cutting out and back on sounds like what happened when my amp was having problems. when I blew my subs I got kinda a flappy noise from them like when you do rasberries with your mouth

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

I've had lots of experience with blowing subs... Before SMD and learning how to do things right I was a serious newb and blew subs like every three monthes cause of setting the bass boost and using the knob at the same time.... Yes I know it was retarded lol, but I've had that same situation with the sub randomly cutting out and I can almost for sure tell you its the coil on its death bed.... Happened to me with 3 of the past subs I had. Then I had a soundstream sub that was doing exactly like you're describing. I guess I pushed it too hard because when I took them out and compared the bad sub's voice coil was kinda crooked in the gap. Mechanical damage I guess?? Either way I hope this leads you into the right direction and I'm sorry about the sub man, did it have a warranty??

THE ANTHRACITE DYC CRUISER

-Fully dipped anthracite grey pt cruiser

-4 skar vvx 12's (version 1)

-Mechman 240 amp alt -Big three in Cadence 1/0

-1 deka intimidator g31 blacktop under the hood

-1 C&D 140ah Batt & 1 C&D 55ah batt in the rear

-Re audio/soundstream mids and highs

-Hifonics Zues 600.4

-DC Audio 3.5k

I've had lots of experience with blowing subs... Before SMD and learning how to do things right I was a serious newb and blew subs like every three monthes cause of setting the bass boost and using the knob at the same time.... Yes I know it was retarded lol, but I've had that same situation with the sub randomly cutting out and I can almost for sure tell you its the coil on its death bed.... Happened to me with 3 of the past subs I had. Then I had a soundstream sub that was doing exactly like you're describing. I guess I pushed it too hard because when I took them out and compared the bad sub's voice coil was kinda crooked in the gap. Mechanical damage I guess?? Either way I hope this leads you into the right direction and I'm sorry about the sub man, did it have a warranty??

No warranty but $129 for a recone which isn't too bad. This sub actually happens to be one of my favorite subs so far. I've gone through so many and this things sounds great in just about any box it's in! I'm gonna end up doing the recone to a dual 4 and adding another one, I can't wait to run two!

Archived