Add a plate amp or buy a home sub?

I have a Sundown SA12 d2 in a 2.4 cube ported box at 30hz. Sub up port back that went in a hatchback. I sold the car a while ago and the sub and box have been sitting in my closet for months now. I was thinking about buying a plate amp and putting it in the box. I have no idea if it's going to be good or not compared to a home sub. I was looking at the PSW505 12 as a replacement for the Dayton Audio Sub-1200 I have. I'd like to replace it since it can barely pick up low notes. Extremely peaky for my liking. The home powered sub is $250. For that price would just buying a plate amp and putting it on the old box be better, or would buying a plate amp, and some MDF to build a proper box be even better? My budget is $300, or more if necessary.

I use these speakers all day as I use them with gaming, music, web browsing, movies and all hooked up to my PC.

Alpine PDX-V9

Morel Tempo 6

Alpine SBR-S8-4

Alpine CDE 149BT

I vote plate amp, new box. D2 will be perfect, as most plate amps are designed to run @ 4ohms.

I wonder how much space the box should be and tuning. Have any plate amps in mind?

Alpine PDX-V9

Morel Tempo 6

Alpine SBR-S8-4

Alpine CDE 149BT

You can browse them at parts-express.com. The Dayton amps have a good reputation. As far as box size, I think a T-line for an SA12 would be ridiculous, but it would be HUGE lol. If you can't, or don't want to do huge, just go with factory specs for ported. If you are using for theater, port high 20's like 28. If you listen to more music than movie explosions, I would say around 33.

With a large box and already low tuning I would say grab the amp and keep the box see how it sounds and rebuild if you would like

04 dodge dakota ext cab 4x4

excessive amperage 300 amp alt with MONSTER stud =)sundown z v3 15 in a 4th order on aq2200sundown 100.4 2 way active...2 Prv audio 6mb200 & 2 re XXX tweetersdeka intimidatorkenwood x396big 3 1/0 knu wire back to deka intimidator

I have an old E8v1 in a t line that has been sitting around for a couple years and just ordered a Bash 300w plate amp so I can have some low end in the garage. I ran the sub off the amp from my CV surround setup and it sounded awesome but needed more power. I'll post up how it does on the Bash, the sub is rated at 300w and in a t line it should slam...

• get a plate amp and like dude said, try it out and see how it goes. You can always rebuild the box to your liking.

• 3 weeks later...

Having builds with both plate amps and rack amps for home theater, I would suggest a rack amp.

It'll cost less and have more output, the one and only downside I've found (which isn't really a downer for me) is cooling fans on rack amps.

Check out the Behringer iNuke NU1000 or 3000.

I have a few YouTube vids of my setups. The RE SXX is on a Dayton plate amp, the XXX is on a NU3000.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Facekicker/videos

dont get the Inuke

it sounds cheap

depends how much power you want really

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XLS1000/ will do 350@ 2ohms on both channels incase you want another later?

it also does 1k into 4 ohms bridged

or

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GX3/

350 per side, and does 500w bridged into 4 ohms

both are great amps, i prefer the sound of the gx3 but the xls has more power. I have 12 xls amps and like 20 gx3's and love them all. never ever failed on me and ive put them through hell and back

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

• 1 month later...

Archived