External Hard Drives

I will be purchasing a external hard drive here soon to back up my laptop. What are the main ratings to look at when getting an external hard drive? I have looked at many different brands, which seem to be pretty mainstream. I didn't know if there were any underground brands so to say. I really don't need anything like 3TB. A simple 500GB will easily be able to store my music, pictures, videos and documents. I just want to have something reliable. I was tempted to pick up a Toshiba 500gb at wally world, but coming from wally world, I figured it might be junk. Thanks

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

actually its not junk and toshiba is awsome

That's good to hear. Maybe it is just the car audio side of me that feels wal-mart isn't the best place to get quality things.

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Meh, doesn't really vary too much. It's more of a preference thing when it comes to external hard drives. I think you will be offered a warranty at the checkout, if so, get it.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

Toshiba isn't junk, here's a good one from newegg which is probably more than you will need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149223

WD 500GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136994

Both are USB 3.0, but also backwards compatible with 2.0.

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

I'm sorry, but what does backwards compatible mean? Like you reverse the cord and the hard drive has two different slots to plug into?

Stay away from the "off" brands. Stick with Western Digital, Seagate, or Toshiba. I personally prefer WD, as their customer service and RMA department are very easy to work with. Seagate and Toshiba are terrible when it comes to that.

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

Stay away from the "off" brands. Stick with Western Digital, Seagate, or Toshiba. I personally prefer WD, as their customer service and RMA department are very easy to work with. Seagate and Toshiba are terrible when it comes to that.

Cs is a huge plus, will probably go with WD then. I notice they don't list rpm speeds, is that because it is slow?

I also read some reviews and noticed someone mentioned a Data Recovery Program, is that something that needs to be purchased up front like a warranty, or bought later when it "crashes".

I don't think RPM speeds matter too much, the USB connection will probably bottleneck the performance before the RPM speeds do.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

^^ yeah, I had an issue with a Seagate not accepting two RMA's. They claimed I tried to tamper with the label (false), and denied my claim. Never had any issue with WD.

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

Archived