Laptop Wont Start Windows. Help?

Turned on my laptop and instead of starting up, I get a black screen with the arrow cursor. I pulled power to restart it and I get a message saying my computer cannot start Windows, with an option to try again or auto repair. After running auto repair, the message says my computer cannot be auto repaired and it goes back to the black screen with cursor. I can't do anything on the black screen except move the arrow around.

Should I restart and try safe mode?

HELP!!

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

unplug your usb drives

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

It reinstalls windows back to factory (it will be like it was just out of the box). You will lose any info that you don't have backed up though.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

I had an issue like this, turned out the boot strap was pointing to a second hard drive instead of where windows was installed. You can usually hit F8 to load the boot menu and make sure it is booting from the right hard drive.

Of course, it depends on the motherboard on what button the boot menu is. I'm not referring to windows boot menu either. I'm talking about the bios boot menu. and not the cmos setup either.

system restore through windows just uses a premade backup when you did X. like uninstall itunes or something. it will make a backup before you do that, in case something goes wrong. so when you pick that restore point, all the files changed/made from then til today, will be deleted or reverted back to a previous state.

i've never heard of system restore restoring it completely back to factory. if the computer has a partition on the hard drive from factory, that allows you to restore the OS back to "out of the box".

Nothings backed up. Damn. Is there a way to recover what's on this hard drive, like on a new computer or someting?

You can plug it into another computer, if it's a Sata drive you should be able to just plug it into another computer without restarting and access it. Then you can copy your stuff off.

edit:

if the computer is running win 7 that is

Archived