engine knocking like crazy. do i have a claim?

probably a collapsed lifter. If your car has hydraulic lifters then this can happen. Pretty much it's either the exhaust or intake valves are stuck closed. So the pressure builds in the cylinder when it's not suppose to so i sounds like shit.

I have had it happen and it was the exhaust side that was stuck closed.

Have you ever heard a car when some one pulls the air filter assembly off? If that is like what you hear then that is your problem. You could pull the air filter and if you have air coming out your throttle body then you will know.

Cant say i've ever seen a collapsed lifter push air back through the intake...

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

• 2 weeks later...

A family member of mine just had her 1996 Oldsmobile with a 3800 V6 towed to the shop I work at. Similar symptoms as yours, however hers stalled shortly after the symptoms started occuring.

Generally speaking, the flashing C.E.L. is an indicator of a misfire. The reason it flashes (I believe) is to warn the driver that continued use of the engine will result in catalytic converter damage as raw fuel is entering it causing it to severely overheat.

So the next question is what caused the misfire? In the case of my family's car, it was coolant entering the combustion chamber. The internal leak was so bad, in fact, that when I tried to start the car after it was towed, it would not even turn over. The #6 Cylinder had hydro-locked. I pulled the spark plugs out and turned the key, and a large quantity of coolant poured out of the spark plug hole.

So if that's the case with your vehicle (Which it sounds like it could be), then there's the issue of if any coolant has gotten into the crank case and mixed with your oil, there's a chance that your bottom end bearings could be compromised.

I'm sure whichever shop you take it to will give you the details on what's wrong with yours specifically. Just thought I'd share my experience.

2004 Ford Freestar SEL

Jensen VM9224BT

Alpine MRP-F257 "Flex 5"

MBQuart ONX 1000.1D

Factory Ford 5x7's (For now)

2 - MBQuart ONX304 12" Subwoofers

A family member of mine just had her 1996 Oldsmobile with a 3800 V6 towed to the shop I work at. Similar symptoms as yours, however hers stalled shortly after the symptoms started occuring.

Generally speaking, the flashing C.E.L. is an indicator of a misfire. The reason it flashes (I believe) is to warn the driver that continued use of the engine will result in catalytic converter damage as raw fuel is entering it causing it to severely overheat.

So the next question is what caused the misfire? In the case of my family's car, it was coolant entering the combustion chamber. The internal leak was so bad, in fact, that when I tried to start the car after it was towed, it would not even turn over. The #6 Cylinder had hydro-locked. I pulled the spark plugs out and turned the key, and a large quantity of coolant poured out of the spark plug hole.

So if that's the case with your vehicle (Which it sounds like it could be), then there's the issue of if any coolant has gotten into the crank case and mixed with your oil, there's a chance that your bottom end bearings could be compromised.

I'm sure whichever shop you take it to will give you the details on what's wrong with yours specifically. Just thought I'd share my experience.

3800s have issues with the lower/upper intake manifold failing, letting coolant into the oil/combustion chamber. thats why your family members car is "broken" so to say.

I work at a Ford dealership, so my GM knowledge is lacking sadly. I did hear that the 3800's were prone to that. However, the family decided the car was not worth investing in. It's now sitting in a junk yard.

2004 Ford Freestar SEL

Jensen VM9224BT

Alpine MRP-F257 "Flex 5"

MBQuart ONX 1000.1D

Factory Ford 5x7's (For now)

2 - MBQuart ONX304 12" Subwoofers

99 monte 3.8L I mean out in the middle of bufu.. at 12am didnt really think i had a choice but to try and get home i live quite a ways from where i work a tow woulda been crazy expensive

rather pay $100 for a tow than having to rebuild or replace the engine

Archived