Second Skin Audio

DVC Sub Question

-X-RaTeD-

If I have a 1000 watt DVC 2 Ohm per coil sub, and I want to run it at 2 Ohms, so I just connect one coil, should I half the rms since I'm running 1 coil? I mean, is a 1000 watt rms DVC sub really 500 watts rms a coil?

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

Thanks but I am familiar with that site, and it does not answer my question. Maybe I didn't word it the best, I already know there are two ways to wire a single DVC sub, series and parrallel, and for dual 2Ohm coils, series would be double the load, 4Ohms, and parrallel would be half the load, 1Ohm. That does not tell me if I only connect one of the coils so that I have a 2 Ohm load, if the wattage of my sub has been cut in half.

I would guess so if the rms wattage is based on the thermal capabilities of the coil itself, and the mechanical limitations of the woofer parts. But then again maybe the coil doesn't heat up as quickly with just one coil being utilized? But I'm also guessing the magnetic forces that drive the woofer would be cut in half, meaning you'd need more power to reach the same mechanical limits?

Does anyone understand what I'm saying?

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

Yes you can connect one coil at half RMS rating.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Thanks but I am familiar with that site, and it does not answer my question. Maybe I didn't word it the best, I already know there are two ways to wire a single DVC sub, series and parrallel, and for dual 2Ohm coils, series would be double the load, 4Ohms, and parrallel would be half the load, 1Ohm. That does not tell me if I only connect one of the coils so that I have a 2 Ohm load, if the wattage of my sub has been cut in half.

I would guess so if the rms wattage is based on the thermal capabilities of the coil itself, and the mechanical limitations of the woofer parts. But then again maybe the coil doesn't heat up as quickly with just one coil being utilized? But I'm also guessing the magnetic forces that drive the woofer would be cut in half, meaning you'd need more power to reach the same mechanical limits?

Does anyone understand what I'm saying?

I understand the logics behind what you are saying, but subs do not operate that way, you must power both coil for the sub to operate efficently. The reason the have dual coil is to give that flexibility when wiring one or more, to acheive a usable final load that would work with your ampflier.

If I have a 1000 watt DVC 2 Ohm per coil sub, and I want to run it at 2 Ohms, so I just connect one coil, should I half the rms since I'm running 1 coil? I mean, is a 1000 watt rms DVC sub really 500 watts rms a coil?

Cant run at 2 ohm with a one ch amp, either 4 or 1.

Can run with 2 amps one per coil (gain matched) @ 2 ohms final load per amp.

Thanks man, what you said about efficiency makes sense, didn't think about that. Yeah it's a mono block amp that can do 4/2/1Ohms, but I was worried about blowing the sub if I wired at 1Ohm, and I wanted to get a little more wattage than what it gives at 4Ohms. 2 would be perfect, but if at only half wattage then it defeats the purpose, so I'll just wire it to 4Ohms for now.

Thanks for the replies.

~Henry David Thoreau

No problem mann.

You can wire the sub to 1 ohm and set your gain (level) on the amp appropriately and you would not have a problem, read up on how to set your gain with a multimeter or there is an instrument that called the dd-1 that can be used to set the gain.

http://www.wccaraudio.com/smd-distortion-detector-dd-1.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_61378_SMD-DD-1-Distortion-Detector-Analyzer-by-Steve-Meade-Designs.html

Cool cool, I'll check into that. Thanks again

~Henry David Thoreau

Archived