Second Skin Audio

Theories

Cboeger

Ok in theory say you have 2 12" subs with 7mm of xmax for a total of 14xmax total pushing 600 RMS total. Now say theres another sub thats a single 12" that is 14xmax alone and pushes 600RMS total. Now say these two models of subs have exact same specs EXCEPT for the xmax and there both in the same type of box etc. In theory would the 2 12" smaller xmax subs sound equally loud as the same single big xmax 12" since there both moving the same amount of cone area?

Xmax ≠ displacement. So the real answer is no one knows

but wait so you would be going from 2 12's to 1 bigger 12..... right? and this raises the question in my head immediately: what about the reduction in cone area? wouldnt that make it not as loud? or did i miss something crucial in the thought process? even though the single 12 has the same xmax as the 2 12"s combined its still 1/2 the cone area thus not moving as much air..... thats where i went with it in my head lol

please correct me or confirm my thoughts someone.......?

edit: so what snow drifter is saying ( or how i interpreted it) it that even though cone area is half it still has the xmax of both 12"s combined so it doesnt matter about being 1/2 cone area since it moves the same amount of air?..... interesting

i think there real i was looking through that guys stuff he sells and it looks like he finds stuff at auctions and just sells it

Yea, it looks like someone got the mids about a month ago....shit. If I had a whole Hertz front stage my ears would jizz all over my cheeks.

/ LOL

My Low Budget Build:

Green 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon 147k- $1K

headunit- pioneer premier deh-p650-$25

4 Lead acid batts. 1 up front and 3 in back- vented outside.- $50

4 vvme L11 10"s <- $30 shipped a piece

6 cu. ft box (after displacment) tuned to 32ish hz with 10 inch sonotube. -about $50 all together maybe a lil more

2 aspm 1300 strapped

Selenium 6"s in the front doors on headunit power- for now -$20

quantum tweets in door-for now -$10

boston acoustic 5 1/4 in rear doors- for now-Free

big 3

1/0 and 4awg throughout.

roof sound deadened (not peel n seal ftw)-free

on 80 amp alt (bench tested to put out 100 amps faithfully) <--?-$10 for test

about $430 for everything<----Not bad at all

still gotta add 3 way crossover, amp for front and rear door speakers and maybe eq

Here's the thing: Just because a sub has that much xmax doesn't mean you are going to use all of it.

It's like asking what will get you to work faster: a minivan or a 500hp Lamborghini. The answer is unless you have somewhere to let loose and open up the throttle, they will both perform the same, since they are both going the same speed.

Same thing with the subs: just because it can move that much doesn't mean it will

That being said, chances are the 2 12s will be louder because it has more cone area and a larger box, which (all else being equal) will yield a more efficient setup.

theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of knowledge that has been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment.[1][2] Scientists create scientific theories from hypotheses that have been corroborated through the scientific method, then gather evidence to test their accuracy.

Also

X-Max is the measurement of the distance the coil of a woofer will travel and stay inside the magnetic gap.

So what I am getting at is, your question is flawed. Therefore, there is no answer.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Also, subs don't "push" watts

And, you don't add X-max from multiple woofers.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

If ( I dare assume) You are asking if 2) 12s on 300w ea will be louder than 1) 12 on 600w ea. Given that the pair of 12s are of lower quality and capable of less excursion than the single 12.

Chances are, no one can tell you.

It is completely enclosure dependent.

In a perfect world, we are to assume that the pair of 12s would be louder. But we do not live in a perfect world and many other factors come into play.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

you're getting a lot of shit for asking a theory lol. I get where you are going with this and I'll tell you what makes logical sense to me.

half the cone area but with double the travel (xmax) should equal the same displacement. in the simplified world that this question was intended for, I believe the output would be the same from each setup. of course that isn't the final absolute answer, but I believe it answers your curiosity.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Archived