Set gain with Clamp Meter?

Carbon

Not too sure if this would work but try setting the gain to the max unclipped level, and then start backing it down until you reach the desired power. That way you'd know for sure you weren't clipping. But like I said I'm not too sure if this would work but I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

This

Your'e overthinking this.

1. Buy a pac-lc1 level control for your sub out on your headunit.

2. Connect said level control

3. Set gains at whatever you want 0db, -5db, -10db with pac-lc1 all the way up.

4. Connect subs

5. Connect Clamp and DMM

6. play test tone with the track you used to set gains with pac-lc1 all the way down.

7. Turn up pac-lc1 until you reach desired wattage or your subwoofers get pissed at you. Whichever you are more comfortable with.

just using a dmm on an unloaded amp is a waste of time, unloaded meaning no subs hooked up. That method does not work for figuring output.

I hope that makes sense.

He hasn't said anything about a lc1

First find max unclipped signal

Then bring it down to were you need

^^^^^

agree..

now why would you buy a Pac lc1....am i missing something

Set it with dd1 then back it off with your meter until you get to that exact power you want. You have this right.

I don't get why everyone is making this so complicated...its not..its easy you got it right.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Your'e overthinking this.

1. Buy a pac-lc1 level control for your sub out on your headunit.

2. Connect said level control

3. Set gains at whatever you want 0db, -5db, -10db with pac-lc1 all the way up.

4. Connect subs

5. Connect Clamp and DMM

6. play test tone with the track you used to set gains with pac-lc1 all the way down.

7. Turn up pac-lc1 until you reach desired wattage or your subwoofers get pissed at you. Whichever you are more comfortable with.

just using a dmm on an unloaded amp is a waste of time, unloaded meaning no subs hooked up. That method does not work for figuring output.

I hope that makes sense.

He hasn't said anything about a lc1

I said get a pac-lc1 because the gain is not a volume control. If he wants to do it right he should match gains so he doesnt have to mess with it later, and use an actual volume control to control the amplifier output. It's just the smart way to do it. Plus he will have the option to adjust the output based on the music he is playing. Carbon, if you want to just turn the gain down go ahead. I will leave now lol.

You can set it with a DMM. You have enough overhead that I'm not convinced you will clip

Remember: power is V2/R

In this case: power is 3700 watts, and R is .5

So solving for V gives you 43 volts

So how do you use that? Play a 40hz -5db tone, found here and with a multi meter: turn up the gain until your output voltage reads 43 volts. Make sure your subsonic is turned all the way down and your low pass turned all the way up. Turn any bass knobs or lc-1s all the way up too

Doesn't matter if the subs are connected to the amp or not while doing this

Depends on how his gain knob works...even on the BRZ cheapy amps..the gain knob maxed out is = to gain on the amp..you can only turn it down with the knob..not actually adjust it any higher.

So if he sets his gains with the dd1..then uses his clamp meter to dial it back unitl he reaches desired power he would be able to adjust it down..but not any higher then that power....

Whats the difference between adjusting your gain down with the knob..or adjusting you rca voltage/signal witht he lc1.

educate me.

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

Sold to:

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Why wire them @ .5 ohm why not wire them up?

What do you mean?

Wire at 2ohm...but I think the amount of power the 5k does at 2ohms isn't enough right?

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

Sold to:

Archived