Set gain with Clamp Meter?

Carbon

Depends on how his gain knob works...even on the BRZ cheapy amps..the gain knob maxed out is = to gain on the amp..you can only turn it down with the knob..not actually adjust it any higher.

So if he sets his gains with the dd1..then uses his clamp meter to dial it back unitl he reaches desired power he would be able to adjust it down..but not any higher then that power....

Whats the difference between adjusting your gain down with the knob..or adjusting you rca voltage/signal witht he lc1.

educate me.

There is none. Except that some bass knobs act as bass boost knobs - which is like turning up the bass boost dial on the amp - which is what the BRZ amp has

The DC amp has a remote gain knob, which only attenuates the signal. It will not amplify it past the gain setting on the amp. Reason why people use the LC1 is that it sometimes does this job more smoothly, giving you a bit more control over the volume. That's why I got an LC-1 instead of the remote bass knob that came with my amp

Depends on how his gain knob works...even on the BRZ cheapy amps..the gain knob maxed out is = to gain on the amp..you can only turn it down with the knob..not actually adjust it any higher.

So if he sets his gains with the dd1..then uses his clamp meter to dial it back unitl he reaches desired power he would be able to adjust it down..but not any higher then that power....

Whats the difference between adjusting your gain down with the knob..or adjusting you rca voltage/signal witht he lc1.

educate me.

+1

:popcorn:

Why wire them @ .5 ohm why not wire them up?

What do you mean?

Wire at 2ohm...but I think the amount of power the 5k does at 2ohms isn't enough right?

It does 2300w and I rather under power them than push their mechanical limits for no reason. They are 1K each right so 2300+ should be fine.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

What do you mean?

Wire at 2ohm...but I think the amount of power the 5k does at 2ohms isn't enough right?

Correct. the 5k does

2 ohm 2,300W x 1

educate me.

There is none. Except that some bass knobs act as bass boost knobs - which is like turning up the bass boost dial on the amp - which is what the BRZ amp has

The DC amp has a remote gain knob, which only attenuates the signal. It will not amplify it past the gain setting on the amp. Reason why people use the LC1 is that it sometimes does this job more smoothly, giving you a bit more control over the volume. That's why I got an LC-1 instead of the remote bass knob that came with my amp

Not trying to go back and forth on this too much but if I recall correctly there is a thread on here adressign that..and the BRZ line has bass gain knob..not boost as stated by Maxxsonics...but Im too lazy to find it now..either way irrelivent to this thread..the DC adjusts the gain not bass boost..so All is good.

I'm just saying he doesn't need a LC-1 to do what he want to do right now...it would work and maybe better but not necesary.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

What do you mean?

Correct. the 5k does

2 ohm 2,300W x 1

O why not run 2ohm..wouldn't efficiency be up too?

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

In his original post he said sub rms was 1500 stock and close to 2k since it has all the options, thats what I was going by...but Carbon, you could always try that, wire to 2 ohm first and then if you want more (which we all do lol) try and wire it down and see how it takes it.

Team NorthWestSPL

educate me.

I have to ask the O.P. a question for that. How many button presses on your h/u does it take to adjust your sub level? You want to do that while driving? If the dc 5k remote works as gain control and not bass boost then he can just use that instead like i said before. If he just sets his gains to whatever then it may be too much just for daily. That was the point of that. Ease of use. I mean, do you drive around with your subs maxxed all the time?

The O.P. has hinted at upgrading his subs later, wouldn't it be nice just to swap out subs and just play? Rather than swap subs and then reset gains again? He could set his gains once now, make a mark on the remote or take note of where he want to be at and just play at or below that level, and he will have overhead if he wants it if he has a song with less bass and he wont have to worry about clipping.

He could of course adjust the gain down like you guys said, but what if he finds that the subs will take more power? then he has to go back, set gains and clamp again, and do that over and over until he is happy with the output. Besides all that, box rise and box design and car physics could play so many factors in how much power the subs will take.

So in short, use the remote gain control, just set the gain without worrying about power output, and just pay attention to the subs and back it off with the remote if it;s too much.

Archived