Sonic Electronix

so from the title you can see that my car amplifier's ground wire fell out without me knowing but still carried on playing, but later on I noticed that it wasn't playing as loud and the low notes below 60hz weren't audible or very low compared to the high notes of bass.

I later went to my boot to find out that my ground wire was out, i disconnected the car battery quick, reconnected the amps ground wire and fired it up again, it still wasn't playing my low notes loud as it used to...have i damaged my amplifier? blown a fuse? blown a fuse in the head unit?

P.S the subwoofer now makes engine noise when not playing anything and sounds like the bass is clipping and signal doesn't sound clean. I tried reconnecting all the rca connections to make sure they were in properly but still not difference.

Autotek 1600.2

TS W310D4

Hmm. Well that's not good! There's a chance your amp is gone:( if a fuse was blown, your amp wouldn't been playing

I heard when your ground wire isn't connected to the amplifier damages the head unit through RCA and can blow the RCA fuse in the head unit? So could it just be that my head unit is gone?

Hmm. Well that's not good! There's a chance your amp is gone:( if a fuse was blown, your amp wouldn't been playing

I heard when your ground wire isn't connected to the amplifier damages the head unit through RCA and can blow the RCA fuse in the head unit? So could it just be that my head unit is gone?

Exactly. When your ground wire fell out, the amp was still looking for a return path (ground).

Well, your RCA's are a return path so your amp most likely dumped a ton of current down your RCA's.

This would have traveled to your HU which would have blown an associated pico fuse and / or internal traces.

I would pull the HU and RCA's and have them checked out.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Exactly. When your ground wire fell out, the amp was still looking for a return path (ground).

Well, your RCA's are a return path so your amp most likely dumped a ton of current down your RCA's.

This would have traveled to your HU which would have blown an associated pico fuse and / or internal traces.

Definitely looking into replacing my head unit, hopefully my amp isn't damaged from it?

try grounding the rca's. get a piece of wire wrap it around the rca's and ground it with the radio

Nope I tried that trick but it didn't help, thanks though!

I never knew that! Wow!

Well at least was head units are cheaper then amps;)

You learn something new everyday here on SMD :)

Definitely looking into replacing my head unit, hopefully my amp isn't damaged from it?

>try grounding the rca's. get a piece of wire wrap it around the rca's and ground it with the radio

Its possible the amp is damaged, hard to say.

Keep a very close eye on it in the near future.

You could bypass your suspect HU/RCAs and directly connect a portable music player (iPod) to the amp and try it out.

Be ready to disconnect power to the amp if it starts to go south.

It also wouldn't hurt to disconnect the amp and pull the cover and have a look at the guts/circuitry.

Look for overheating/damage around the RCA's.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

>try grounding the rca's. get a piece of wire wrap it around the rca's and ground it with the

radio

Its possible the amp is damaged, hard to say.

Keep a very close eye on it in the near future.

You could bypass your suspect HU/RCAs and directly connect a portable music player (iPod) to the amp and try it out.

Be ready to disconnect power to the amp if it starts to go south.

It also wouldn't hurt to disconnect the amp and pull the cover and have a look at the guts/circuitry.

Look for overheating/damage around the RCA's.

I just took your advise and bypassed the head unit and used a 3.5mm jack to RCA, played some songs through my ipod and the signal sounds perfect and crisp. It seems like I blew my head unit RCA fuse. THANKS A LOT! Going to buy a new head unit tomorrow!

I thank everyone here so much I really appreciate it! <3...no homo ;)

Archived