Looking for SSD for my laptop

So im sure my harddrive shit the bed on my laptop. I been hearing/looking into a ssd but have no clue what im looking for

The laptop is a Gateway nx570x. I dont do anything fancy other than surf the interwebz, download music, and download stuff to root my phone, and program the ESC for my R/C car.

So any sugestions. Plus i dont wanna spend my left nut for one. im gonna have to say my budget is less than $200

TIA

*EDIT*

The only thing i find on google (using cell phone) brings me to crucial.com and i dont know if that's a good place to buy from or what not.

If it's worth building, it's worth over building.

image_zps27zlqdnx.jpg

What amount of space do you need/want? It is out of your budget but on my gaming laptop I run a 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD with a 750GB Western Digital Black edition hard drive. I love the combination as my OS and programs are all on the SSD and the WD drive has my music, vids, pics, docs, etc on it. Ive tested my OCZ and it performs like they give the specs for online. I have windows 7 game rebel edition x64 installed on my laptop with tons of other programs and from the moment I hit the power button to the desktop screen it takes 8 seconds. Photoshop CS5 loads up in 8-10 seconds depending on whether I tell it to open a file in Photoshop or just open the photoshop program with no content within it.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

if i recall, i think my HD was about 80Gb. I hardly used most of it. I dont play any games off it other than flash games online, maybe a cheesy Indie game here and there. Mostly the laptop was movies downloaded/stream and music, downloaded/stream, and when i upload videos from my phone or Mino Flip.

image_zps27zlqdnx.jpg

Well they have a 128gb version of my drive out there but it is different in the cache size it has compared to my drive: http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-2-5-Inch-Industrys-Warranty/dp/B007R1FH3K

One thing to keep in mind with a SSD is that you have to turn off a lot of caching and other programs that perform a ton of useless read/writes (disk defrag, superfetch being two of the bigger ones with windows) and that with the more read/writes you do to one, the faster you will slow down the speed of the drive over time.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

This is the largest and fastest drive you'll find under $200: Samsung 840 250GB

If you want to save a few more bucks you can go with this guy here: Crucial M4 128GB

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Make sure your laptop supports Sata 3 to support the listed speeds of the drives.

looks like im gonna have to wait till i get home and get more details on my laptop. i dont know if it supports sata 3 or not. im gonna guess no since i have the laptop for about 6 years or so.

image_zps27zlqdnx.jpg

Yeah you deff wouldnt have sata3 on that old of a laptop. In that case save your money and get a ssd for a new computer that it will work at full speed.

You can use those drives in any SATA port. If the laptop only has SATA 2 the drive will just operate at SATA 2 speeds. You don't need to have the drive match the laptop's speed. If the drive is faster than what the laptop can operate at then it'll just run at the fastest speed the laptop can push.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Archived