Subwoofers Cutting Out at High Volume - The Elusive Solution

Also, some amps may not like A LOT of rca input voltage

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

RootBeer... Great point but I've also tried backing off the LOC and giving it some gain... The problem persists. :/

Rusteez... I may look into doing that. Do you/anybody know if a significant voltage drop could cause the amp to stop playing but not shut down..? It just didn't seem likely to me.

There is no way a pair of Type R's are stomping out some SSD's. Something is not right in the sentence. Check your ground, make sure its not loose. Check for any type of loosing connection, and I meany any. RCA, Speaker, positive run. Shit pull the sub out and make sure there are no wires coming out of the connectors and are shaking enough at high volumes to arc to something and create a quick short.

I dont think the OP is aware of what I said here. Check loose connections bro.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

RootBeer... The Type R's played remarkably for that caliber, in their defense ;). But they were sealed, these are ported, and they're still getting outgunned?! I have checked RCAs, ground is tight, power, fuses... All good. Speaker wires - good. You bring forth a good point about inside the box but I've played them in free-air and they still do it. It's some bull**** I tell ya.

RootBeer... I follow ya, man. I feel like they all seem to be pretty solid. Ideas?

GhostRider... I might need to crank out the DMM if that's the case. I didn't think the battery had a choice where it sent power. Maybe it's dipping low 10's. That's a big *** amp for a stock system.

I never had a prob w/this lanzar but the previous amp i had gave similar symptoms, the brace i was grounded to was bolted on. At full tilt it would cut out but not protect and all lights stayed on. I moved the ground to the strut bolt and had no more problems. Upgraded everything to 1/0 and put the bigger amp in and it is doing great!!!! Just a side note i also have a cheap 4 chanel amp running my mids/highs, i havent clamped the little one yet but im probably at 2000 w rms. Pretty goood for stock alt. Just waiting for it to poop out to justify geting it rewound.

I just wish i had a funny sig.

• 1 month later...

Okay guys sorry for the radio silence... Last month was busy for me. Really busy.

Anyway,

Since I last checked in, I've tried the troubleshooting step suggested by Ghostrider (Hook-up the amp to an external signal i.e. an iPod). I tried this with an iPhone powered by a headphone amplifier to boost the signal. The speakers still cut out so that should eliminate all questions pre-amp such as signal conversion, etc. Also, I have analyzed the voltage drops both at the battery and at the amplifier and the lowest the power dipped was 11.3v. Also of note is that there seemed to be no correlation between the voltage drops and the speakers cutting out. However, the speakers do cut out at what seems to be the hardest-hitting notes.

As of now, it appears the issue lies either in the ground or the (dread) subwoofer wires inside the box.

What do you guys think?

Ghostrider... I'm grounded to a steel brace on the left wall of my trunk. I initially sanded it down with a coarse wire brush on my power drill.

And a headphone amplifier is for high-resistance headphones (300+ OHMs) such as my pair of Sennheiser HD600's. They're $400+ headphones but they're used for studio monitoring and tracking vocals. About as clean of sound you'd ever hear. It just takes more power than an average source can give.

I quickly skimmed the first post you made, and noticed that you said both subs cut out. That makes me think that it's not a problem with the wiring to the subs... possibly the box's terminal cup if the subs share one, but other than that I'd guess it's your ground. Also, concerning the ground, I know ghost or someone said check the connections. What I say you should do is check the terminal connectors or whatever you used at the ends of your wires. What I'm thinking is maybe the wire could be rattling loose from the terminal at the end? Idk if I'm evening calling it the right thing, but I'm talking about these:

gr.jpg

If you used these, check the connections from them to the wire, maybe that's loose?

EDIT: sorry for such a big pic lol
Also: Terminal ring, that's what they're called :P

needbasssig.gif
My Build Log

j84l.jpg

Heros get remembered, but legends never die.

Archived