Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Bad sound when bridging


KyleRhone

Recommended Posts

Posted

So I was stumped today while hooking a friends subs up. I've never had this problem but when I would try to hook the subs up bridged. they would have a hollow sound and almost no power. I tried them hooked up in series at 4 ohms and i tried parellel at 1 ohm. both ways i got the crappy sound. The only way I could get the correct sound was hooking them up at 2ohm x 2 channels but then they were underpowered. I can't find any specs on the subs so i'm assuming they're dual 4 ohm and i have them wired in parellel to 2 ohms each. I know the subs are shitty flea market ones but they're all she has right now. please tell me why i'm getting the terrible sound when bridging.

equipment:

Crunch PZ2400.2 amplifier.

Audiofonics ADF-272 12" x 2
(http://www.dealtime.com/ADF-272-Audiofonics-12-Car-Subwoofer-1200-Watts/info)

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride.

Posted

subs are 600RMS, and that amp is 600RMS x2 @4ohm according to onlinecarstereo

wire it up like a 2 channel lower the gain and youre good to go

the subs are dual 4 ohms coils. i can only run them at 2 ohms or 8 0hms. thats why we got that amp. according to sonicelectronix it's 600 watts max at 4 ohms x 2. it should run at 4 ohms bridged meaning that if i run each sub paralleled at 2 ohms and then series them together i should get 4 ohms. when i do that however I get the shitty sound out of the amp. regarless of ohm loads and power. i want to know why i'm getting the hollow sound when bridged. I have a 300 watt amp that I ran the subs on to test bridged in series and it sounded fine. it was just super underpowered

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride.

Posted

The amp is only 4 ohm stable bridged so if you want it bridged coils in parallel subs in series or coils in series subs in parallel will give you 4 ohm.

Wire to one ohm == magic smoke.

Posted

The amp is only 4 ohm stable bridged so if you want it bridged coils in parallel subs in series or coils in series subs in parallel will give you 4 ohm.

Wire to one ohm == magic smoke.

there are 2 subs with dual 4 ohm voice coils. if you wire the subs on each voice coil parellel you get 2 ohms per sub. you then wire the subs together in series and you have a 4 ohm load. regardless of all this non sence, even when I wired only one sub to the amp bridged, I would get a hollow sound out of it. I want to know why I was getting the hollow sound while bridging but not when it was on a single left or right channel

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride.

Posted

subs are 600RMS, and that amp is 600RMS x2 @4ohm according to onlinecarstereo

wire it up like a 2 channel lower the gain and youre good to go

the subs are dual 4 ohms coils. i can only run them at 2 ohms or 8 0hms. thats why we got that amp. according to sonicelectronix it's 600 watts max at 4 ohms x 2. it should run at 4 ohms bridged meaning that if i run each sub paralleled at 2 ohms and then series them together i should get 4 ohms. when i do that however I get the shitty sound out of the amp. regarless of ohm loads and power. i want to know why i'm getting the hollow sound when bridged. I have a 300 watt amp that I ran the subs on to test bridged in series and it sounded fine. it was just super underpowered

You end up with a final ohm load of 1 ohm if you wire them both to 2 ohms, is the amp 1 ohm stable? if you ran them 8 ohm each then you would get a final load of 4 ohm at the amp

Posted

The amp is only 4 ohm stable bridged so if you want it bridged coils in parallel subs in series or coils in series subs in parallel will give you 4 ohm.

Wire to one ohm == magic smoke.

there are 2 subs with dual 4 ohm voice coils. if you wire the subs on each voice coil parellel you get 2 ohms per sub. you then wire the subs together in series and you have a 4 ohm load. regardless of all this non sence, even when I wired only one sub to the amp bridged, I would get a hollow sound out of it. I want to know why I was getting the hollow sound while bridging but not when it was on a single left or right channel

Well one possibility is that you had polarity issues with your wiring, check the manual to see if your bridged connections were right and also you should to change to MONO mode.

Anyways you would get the same output as with the 2 ohm separate channels, and I don't think you will be seeing more than 500W rms per channel with that amp.

Posted

Check for a switch/button with any combination of the phrases: "mono" "bridged" or "L+R Sum"

Should be near the input(s), engage it. If that is not the issue you have the wrong ohm load, polarity, or much worse a problem with the amp.

I'm gonna hate

Posted

The amp is only 4 ohm stable bridged so if you want it bridged coils in parallel subs in series or coils in series subs in parallel will give you 4 ohm.

Wire to one ohm == magic smoke.

there are 2 subs with dual 4 ohm voice coils. if you wire the subs on each voice coil parellel you get 2 ohms per sub. you then wire the subs together in series and you have a 4 ohm load. regardless of all this non sence, even when I wired only one sub to the amp bridged, I would get a hollow sound out of it. I want to know why I was getting the hollow sound while bridging but not when it was on a single left or right channel

Well one possibility is that you had polarity issues with your wiring, check the manual to see if your bridged connections were right and also you should to change to MONO mode.

Anyways you would get the same output as with the 2 ohm separate channels, and I don't think you will be seeing more than 500W rms per channel with that amp.

ninja'd

I'm gonna hate

Posted

subs are 600RMS, and that amp is 600RMS x2 @4ohm according to onlinecarstereo

wire it up like a 2 channel lower the gain and youre good to go

the subs are dual 4 ohms coils. i can only run them at 2 ohms or 8 0hms. thats why we got that amp. according to sonicelectronix it's 600 watts max at 4 ohms x 2. it should run at 4 ohms bridged meaning that if i run each sub paralleled at 2 ohms and then series them together i should get 4 ohms. when i do that however I get the shitty sound out of the amp. regarless of ohm loads and power. i want to know why i'm getting the hollow sound when bridged. I have a 300 watt amp that I ran the subs on to test bridged in series and it sounded fine. it was just super underpowered

You end up with a final ohm load of 1 ohm if you wire them both to 2 ohms, is the amp 1 ohm stable? if you ran them 8 ohm each then you would get a final load of 4 ohm at the amp

the way i'm doing it is kind of janky cause i have 2 ohms on one side of the box and 2 ohms on the other down to plates so i'm wiring around the outside of the box. i didn't think of going up to 8 ohms each and bridging them parellel down to the 4. that still doesn't explain the hollow sound i was getting though.

The amp is only 4 ohm stable bridged so if you want it bridged coils in parallel subs in series or coils in series subs in parallel will give you 4 ohm.

Wire to one ohm == magic smoke.

there are 2 subs with dual 4 ohm voice coils. if you wire the subs on each voice coil parellel you get 2 ohms per sub. you then wire the subs together in series and you have a 4 ohm load. regardless of all this non sence, even when I wired only one sub to the amp bridged, I would get a hollow sound out of it. I want to know why I was getting the hollow sound while bridging but not when it was on a single left or right channel

Well one possibility is that you had polarity issues with your wiring, check the manual to see if your bridged connections were right and also you should to change to MONO mode.

Anyways you would get the same output as with the 2 ohm separate channels, and I don't think you will be seeing more than 500W rms per channel with that amp.

Check for a switch/button with any combination of the phrases: "mono" "bridged" or "L+R Sum"

Should be near the input(s), engage it. If that is not the issue you have the wrong ohm load, polarity, or much worse a problem with the amp.

I tried switching between stereo and mono while i had the subs bridged. still got the hollow sound either way

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 513 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...