Sundown Audio

Vibration - The slow killer

DubNDodge

Who has mounted their amplifiers so their sub box? What did you use to stop the vibration?

Here's my story. I used rubber washers to mount the amplifiers to the box. Still was getting vibration. So then I put foam rod under the amps if 4 different spots. I also used rubber washers so that the screw head wouldn't be directly touching the amp. I was still getting significant vibration to vibrate my phone on the amplifier on certain frequencies or when there was a hit, or change in the frequency. The thing is, the box won't vibrate my phone or a quarter if it is just laying on the box. (Granted it does have carpeting)

I am assuming that the screw going into the box and the tight fit on the amplifier is transferring the vibration. So I was thinking about screwing a piece of wood to the box, them the amps. The thing is I have less than a inch of clearance with the amps and the top of the trunk.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Can you make your amp mounts attach at the corners of your box? Like where the edges of two panels meet? I think the vibrations would be way less severe since that is the strongest part of your enclosure. Just a thought.

Get some screws with an unthreaded shank. Put spring on either side of it with your amp in the middle - like a sandwich. Then scew the whole thing partially in the box so the amp floats between the two springs. You don't want to compress the springs - that will make them useless.

Alternatively: if you are getting vibrations, you should make a better box ;)

Get some screws with an unthreaded shank. Put spring on either side of it with your amp in the middle - like a sandwich. Then scew the whole thing partially in the box so the amp floats between the two springs. You don't want to compress the springs - that will make them useless.

Alternatively: if you are getting vibrations, you should make a better box ;)

Not exactly sure how I would go about building a better box. Maybe some dowel? I figured it would be pretty sturdy but oh well.. But damn I love that idea. Really has me thinking on a better solution.

Rebuilding my box would be the ultimate LAST resort. :shrug:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Get some fiberglass resin. Pour a little bit in the corners of the box and let it "self level" and cure so it makes a small 45. Do that in all the corners.

Then run down to tap-plastics and grab some 6" wide knytex fabric. Do 4 or so layers of that in the corners where you poured the resin. You didn't have to use resin - mdf would work too: but it's an easy way to give a little substance to the corners so you aren't trying to glass over a 90 degree angle.

Go to home depot and get some 2x4 and use that to brace your panels. Glue it in place, then use the same trick I mentioned above to glass it in place.

That's how I do my boxes.

The box is somewhat permanent in the car... lol

SDC15183_zps93c224b3.jpg

SDC15194_zps1a4fbae8.jpg

Edit: This is before I added the foam rod

Well... Mount amps somewhere else?

Not really any other good spot to mount them. I could mount them down next to batter, but that would be a pita

Archived