HID ballast not firing when voltage is over 14.8v

Okay I need some help with some of the electrical guru's on here. So i have FutureVision HID's in my envoy and have an odd problem. When I take the low beams and kick them on and my voltage is higher than 14.8v only one of the two lights fire on. If I were to take the truck and turn it off, then turn the lights on, wait a few minutes and start the truck back up they stay on but the problem only happens when the voltage is higher than 14.8 and I am firing the lights for the first time. I also had noticed that if the truck is on and I hold all 4 window switches in the up position while the windows are already up it will make the voltage drop to 14.5v and then I can fire up the lights without any problems.

Now the odd part:

I had thought it was an issue with the ballast so me and Bruno (great guy btw) from FutureVision were talking about things to do such as swapping around ballasts and lights and we did that but it seemed that no matter where I placed that ballast that the single ballast would still have an issue when the voltage was above 14.8v. I also tried other relays too for the ballasts but still was getting the issue. So I figured that even after moving ballasts and trying other lights that it is a defective ballast and sent it into FutureVision to get it looked at. They tested it on the bench and sent me a video showing that it worked just fine in the video and even moved the ballast around and bent the wires to show that its not an issue with a loose component or broken wire. I paid to get it sent back to me and now the problem only happens when its cold outside as that is the only time when my voltage is above 14.8v. When its warmer my truck sits at 14.6v.

My question is this:

I have an old blower motor resistor pack from my trucks vent that still reads resistance on the resistors inside the module. To make it so that I can lower the voltage of just the one ballast, can I wire one of the resistors (not home right now to measure the resistance) so that I can lower the input voltage just a little bit so the ballast always kicks on? Or has anyone else experienced this before and found a way to fix it? I tried to bypass the relay and connect the ballast direct to the battery and that didn't change anything either so it has got to be the problem with my voltage being high even though it shows the ballasts as being capable to run up to 21v.

HELP!!! lol

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

why cant bruno just send you a new ballast instead of having to rig something up to remedy something that is obviously wrong with the ballast? for a $400 hid kit, i would hope there would be some kind of warranty/replacement in place.

What Kranny said.. Did you specifically ask them for a replacement ballast?

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

If they are rated for up to 21v and one ballast works..then it seems to me that its a problem with that ballast....if you switch ballasts to opposite side does it fire up on the opposite side or only on the side that did previously?

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

I had asked for a replacement ballast and was told that I'd have to pay out of pocket for just the ballast and 55w ballasts are not cheap, especially anything from futurevision. And yeah when I swapped ballasts, wherever I put that one ballast is where the problem was. For example right now its on my left low beam and if I were to swap it with my right low beam then the right low beam would encounter the problem and my left low beam would be perfect. You can't say its be overloading the relay as each fog and low beam have their own dedicated 30 amp relay (relay is really a 40 amp but the fuse is at 30 amps). I tried using a shared relay setup that I have for my high beams to no avail.

Edit: for warranty there is a 1 year warranty but they tested it on their bench setup and sent me a video of it proving that it worked just fine on their test bench where they were tapping the ballast on its side, top and bottom against the table, bending the input and output wires and turning the light on and off multiple times. Oh and one thing I should add is that I have a DRL killer with quad lights in my Envoy however this problem was present way before I did that mod to it and I checked for any ripple current in the wire with my scope and its a millivolt if that for ripple.

I am not trying to turn this into a bashing thread because I love futurevision and their customer service is excellent but I just wanted some input on what I could do to lower the input voltage just a little so it is "within range" so to speak and make the lights fire at all times.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Yeah it was sent in and tested.

Did they show you on their test bench it was stable to 21v like claimed...I would be irritated if I was you. Maybe ask them to take them back and go with another company.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

No because at that time I did not think it was the voltage that was causing the issue. Now it is without a doubt a voltage related problem. As for going with another company, yeah I may have paid a lot for futurevision but I am happy with them and besides I am NOT taking my headlights apart again for the retrofit that I did with them as it would destroy the housings since I sealed them up with the black window sealer due to the silicone not adhering the way it should and causing the lens to get loose and almost pop off the housing.

You mounted the ballast inside the headlight? Maybe order up two ballast from a differant company

2006 GMC Yukon
Pioneer HU

SHCA ran throughout

Crescendo BC3500

One 18 AA Mayhem in a 4th order

ZED Levithian 6 channel

Rainbow Dual 6.5 comps ran Active
matt142-1-1.jpg
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155628-matt14s-yukon-mayhem-in-a-4th-ordernew-amps-and-bats/page-3

Archived