Sundown Audio

What's in those guts? 8ight's Amplifier Analysis! Part I

8ight

• 1 month later...

This is an amazing write up, I'm not experienced at all with anything more than basic circuitry, Ive taken a college physics two class that covered the ideology behind some of these basic components, capacitors, transformers, inductors, etc.But nothing very in depth on circuitry. I am confused, however, on one thing you wrote. "A capacitor acts like a short circuit at high frequencies. When paralleled into a circuit, it helps to eliminate (short-out) higher frequency noise.

Also, the voltage across a capacitor can not instantaneously change, therefore its great for voltage stability (noise smoothing)."

I thought that capacitors acted as a high pass filter, thus why are they are used on tweeters, so how do they eliminate higher frequency noise? And I also thought voltage could change instantaneously across a capacitor because their ability to discharge instantaneously? T

1994 Ford bronco

Infininti kappa 4 channel driving a pair of reference 6.5s and a pair of 6x8 kappas

downfiring console w/ a pair of image dynamic 8s on a memphis 250.1

1999 Honda Civic Si

front doors- image dynamics ctx 6" coaxial with ID tweets

Back deck- Image Dynamics ctx 6x9" coaxials

Bass- PSI platform 1 12" in a 4th order tuned to 39hz

Amps- CT sounds 60.4 highs and mids, Ampere Audio 1k bass

Power- Big 3 upgrade, second juicebox 50ah battery, sky high 1/0, skyhigh battery terminals

This is an amazing write up, I'm not experienced at all with anything more than basic circuitry, Ive taken a college physics two class that covered the ideology behind some of these basic components, capacitors, transformers, inductors, etc.But nothing very in depth on circuitry. I am confused, however, on one thing you wrote. "A capacitor acts like a short circuit at high frequencies. When paralleled into a circuit, it helps to eliminate (short-out) higher frequency noise.

Also, the voltage across a capacitor can not instantaneously change, therefore its great for voltage stability (noise smoothing)."

I thought that capacitors acted as a high pass filter, thus why are they are used on tweeters, so how do they eliminate higher frequency noise? And I also thought voltage could change instantaneously across a capacitor because their ability to discharge instantaneously? T

They do act as a high pass filter too, and when designing the input coupling capacitors you need to take into consideration that it will determine the overall low-frequency cutoff of the amplifier.

I'm just going to post this from one of my amplifier design books.

If I come across a better example, which I know I've seen somewhere, I'll post it up.

Unfortunately, for reasons of noise and distortion, the feedback resistor R3 should

be of a lower resistance value than a value like 50 kW. Bear in mind that the AC impedance

feeding the LTP on the input side is quite low because the input coupling capacitor acts

like a short circuit at audio frequencies. Ideally, the AC impedance on the feedback

network side should also be low in order to minimize noise. There is thus a conflict

between the DC and AC requirements at the input stage. It is also notable that when the

feedback network impedance is reduced, the value of the electrolytic capacitor in the

feedback shunt path must be increased accordingly

Designing Audio Power Amplifiers By Bob Cordell

http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Audio-Power-Amplifiers-Cordell/dp/007164024X

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Almost that whole reply went over my head :lol2: but thank you for the educated response, im trying to learn more about amplifiers and how they work as well as how all the individual components work in conjunction with one another, in my free time of course but i had really been looking for some literature and coming up short so thank you for the recommendation, I'll probably buy that book here shortly

1994 Ford bronco

Infininti kappa 4 channel driving a pair of reference 6.5s and a pair of 6x8 kappas

1999 Honda Civic Si

Power- Big 3 upgrade, second juicebox 50ah battery, sky high 1/0, skyhigh battery terminals

hi all, my PRSA500 Pioneer 2 channel amp has a heap of little fuses inside the board.... any idea what the story/idea is behind this?

could you post a pic so we know where these little fuses are on the board?

1994 Ford bronco

1999 Honda Civic Si

Archived