Loudest on low power..

In a daily driver, with a set-up that sounds good on music (rap,rock,country) what is the loudest someone could expect to get number wise in a scenario similar to mine? I realize there are alot of variables, I am just asking for an aproximation.

So here's the info....

I have 3 RF punch HX2 12's (RFD2212 I believe) in a sealed box, 3.75 cu/ft net on an RF bd1500.1 wired at 3 ohms on stock electrical. 110 amp alt, big 3 done right in Rf 1/0. I would imagine that I am lucky if I am getting 900-1000w rms, could be even less I really haven't done the math. Also running an RF 851x for mids/highs and I know that my amp(s) aren't getting optimal current, but my voltage really doesn't drop below 13.3 at the amps.

I have never put my truck on a TL but I would like to soon and I would like to have an idea beforehand on what would be poor, average, or impressive considering all things for my setup. This is all in an '03 expedtition btw.

I am not expecting much, but I have had 2 people bail after some recent adjustments and it does tickle the inside of your nose and the hair on your arms when I crank it up.

SO that is the first part of my question.

Now I would like input on the next part.

What would be loudest on the ears inside and outside the vehicle out of the following choices...

• Build a ported enclosure and scrap the sealed one, keeping the 3 12's
  • Ditch the 3 12's and go with the 2 15's I have instead (they are the same year and series as my 12's but never been used. RFD2215 I think) and I have 2 of them. If I go this route, my amp will see 2 ohms instead of 3 which is where the amp does rated power at. With my electrical, I'm still not sure that I will get rated power out of the amp.
  • Keep it as is. (I doubt this will be a popular option but I thought I would include it just in case.

Either way, I want to build a new box. I love how my stuff sounds sealed, but I want something new and to go ported for more output.

Input from those with practical knowledge and experience is appreciated.

Thanks guys.

2 15's is a little more cone area than 3 12's. So I would do that personally and do it ported, that would yield the best results in my opinion. As you said there are a lot of variables though. It also depends what ohm load the 15's will end up as, if you can get 2 ohms final load the amp will probably also make a bit more power than it currently does at 3 ohms, so you'd gain from that too.

Thank you.

Yeah, I mentioned the 2 ohm thing in my 2nd bullet point. I just want to see if what I am thinking is the best way in other people's opinions.

What about the first part?

do you know what size box you need for 1 - 15" ported? if you can double that in your setup then go for the dual 15" ported setup... otherwise try porting your current setup and see what you can achieve ...

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

Thank you.

Yeah, I mentioned the 2 ohm thing in my 2nd bullet point. I just want to see if what I am thinking is the best way in other people's opinions.

What about the first part?

My bad, I missed the 2 ohm thing. I say 2 15's ported will beat 3 12's ported due to the increase in cone are as well as the amp making a bit more power.

if you drop to two woofers you risk the chance of overpowering them with the amp. Subs are rated at 500rms each and the amp probably does 1600+ rms. But if you got a clean signal and proper power you can pull it off.

I would do the 2 15's

if not sealed off cabinfiring, you could do that make a nice difference ... yes 2 15s have more cone area but that also means a deeper lowers sounding bass your going to be getting if its a daily driver id says 12s are the best for that for there all around capability. depending on your taste for music to say the less.

if not sealed off cabinfiring, you could do that make a nice difference ... yes 2 15s have more cone area but that also means a deeper lowers sounding bass your going to be getting if its a daily driver id says 12s are the best for that for there all around capability. depending on your taste for music to say the less.

15's or 12's dont matter it is how you tune the box and of course what the vehicles resonant frequency is.

what kind of truck and what are the usable measurements

Yeah I would have to pull specs but I believe the 12's are rated @ 500wrms and the 15's are rated at 600.

Ooh my bad, they're the 2115's meaning 2 ohm coils and 250 per coil not 300. Just found the manual. Funny, when I google RFD2115 the. "other" hx2's come up, not mine. Anyways, per the manual the ideal vented enclosure is 2.5 cu. ft. with a 4" diameter x 8" long port. Elsewhere in the manual it states the acceptable ported enclosure range is between 2 and 4 cu ft.

Would you recommend going on the smaller side of that range? And what kind of port set up would you go with?

Would also still like some input regarding numbers

Archived