Sundown Audio

amp settings

K-Swift

gain -Find the voltage out put your headunit gives to your amp and on your amp on the gain, all the way down will say like 9v (volts) or like 7v and all the way up would say .2v now say you headunit gives out 4v, try your best to place it at wjat you believe if 4v by looking at it. Low pass filter- look your speakers up online and look at the frequency range of them, set you lpf at about 5-10hz higher than the lowest frequency of you door speakers and the subsonic filter will say something like 15hz-35hz (different for different amps) set it at about 3-5 hz lower than what your box is tuned to and if your boxed is sealed, dont worry about the subsonic filter. Now, bassboost = bad.... dont use it cause it clips the signal to you sub(s) which overtime will damage and possibly blow the woofer (s). If I ledt something out let me know

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

I'm going to start off by saying do not listen to the previous post, especially about the gain. If you don't have access to a DD-1 or O-Scope then a DMM will be the next best option for setting your gain. If you can give some more info such as sub(s) and amp(s) being used as well as what load you plan on wiring it to that will help. As for your x-overs, if you don't have the experience to be able to listen to everything and set it by ear I would suggest setting your LP for the sub(s) about 80hz. Then set your HP for the door speakers at 80hz to minimize any gaps. Even if you're using a sealed box I would set the subsonic around 28-30hz (I don't have any reasoning for this other than it's worked for me). Leave the bass boost off.

If you post up the info for your sub(s) and amp(s) I'll be able to help you better with setting the gain with a DMM.

Edited for spelling

www.facebook.com/BILLatDivineCreationsPhoto

He was taunting me. He's all like "come at me bro!" So I'm like "I'm coming at you bro!" And he's like "hey, fuck you" *chomp*. Then I killed it. I win.

^^^ you have truly taken being a lazy fuck to a new level tonight, an MRE. WOW

lanzar max pro 12s and a boss cx2500 chaos exxtream mono block and my pre amp off a pioneer deck is 2.2v
I also have another setup with 2 Alpine SWR12d4 subs and a Bass Inferno BI3000dx and my other pre amp is 2.4v

Let me know what would be the best way to tune both of these setups

Thanks.

gain -Find the voltage out put your headunit gives to your amp and on your amp on the gain, all the way down will say like 9v (volts) or like 7v and all the way up would say .2v now say you headunit gives out 4v, try your best to place it at what you believe if 4v by looking at it.

Low pass filter- look your speakers up online and look at the frequency range of them, set you lpf at about 5-10hz higher than the lowest frequency of you door speakers and the subsonic filter will say something like 15hz-35hz (different for different amps) set it at about 3-5 hz lower than what your box is tuned to and if your boxed is sealed, dont worry about the subsonic filter.

Now, bassboost = bad.... dont use it cause it clips the signal to you sub(s) which overtime will damage and possibly blow the woofer (s). If I let something out let me know

You start with the subsonic filter or highpass filter.

You set it 3-5Hz below tuning depending on how much power you apply to the subwoofer.

Next you turn LPF down until you notice that the sound doesn't get pulled to the back of the car anymore.

After this you set your headunit to about 3/4 of the maximum volume or where you can't hear any distortion at all and back it off a few clicks.

Next you set the gain by starting at 9v and slowly turning it up on a song with the most (non distorted) bass you can find. (decaf or other good bass boosted songs)

Listen closely to the subwoofer, make sure there are no signs of stress, no over-excursion, no smell, no distortion. (if you do hear some distortion back it off about 1/16th of a turn)

Then you put the song on repeat and keep the setting the way they are and again check for those signs and maybe feel the amp if it doesn't get hot. (do this part for atleast 15-20min, depending on how long you will eventually play it at full tilt.)

IF everything feels good, put on some song that go below tuning and check if there isn't too much excursion, if there is turn the subsonic a little higher. (if the opposite is true, you can turn it down a bit after testing with a -3dB test tone)

After this your subwoofer amp should be set properly. (you can always adjust the LPF if you don't like it)

This setting should be a very safe setting.

Thats probably your best bet without the fancy tools

I'll have to kindly disagree as explained above.

Actually you don't need any tools if you take your time and listen and feel everything.

I wouldn't suggest using a DMM, especcially not if you are using low/cheap quality equipment.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

gain -Find the voltage out put your headunit gives to your amp and on your amp on the gain, all the way down will say like 9v (volts) or like 7v and all the way up would say .2v now say you headunit gives out 4v, try your best to place it at what you believe if 4v by looking at it.

Low pass filter- look your speakers up online and look at the frequency range of them, set you lpf at about 5-10hz higher than the lowest frequency of you door speakers and the subsonic filter will say something like 15hz-35hz (different for different amps) set it at about 3-5 hz lower than what your box is tuned to and if your boxed is sealed, dont worry about the subsonic filter.

Now, bassboost = bad.... dont use it cause it clips the signal to you sub(s) which overtime will damage and possibly blow the woofer (s). If I let something out let me know

You start with the subsonic filter or highpass filter.

You set it 3-5Hz below tuning depending on how much power you apply to the subwoofer.

Next you turn LPF down until you notice that the sound doesn't get pulled to the back of the car anymore.

After this you set your headunit to about 3/4 of the maximum volume or where you can't hear any distortion at all and back it off a few clicks.

Next you set the gain by starting at 9v and slowly turning it up on a song with the most (non distorted) bass you can find. (decaf or other good bass boosted songs)

Listen closely to the subwoofer, make sure there are no signs of stress, no over-excursion, no smell, no distortion. (if you do hear some distortion back it off about 1/16th of a turn)

Then you put the song on repeat and keep the setting the way they are and again check for those signs and maybe feel the amp if it doesn't get hot. (do this part for atleast 15-20min, depending on how long you will eventually play it at full tilt.)

IF everything feels good, put on some song that go below tuning and check if there isn't too much excursion, if there is turn the subsonic a little higher. (if the opposite is true, you can turn it down a bit after testing with a -3dB test tone)

After this your subwoofer amp should be set properly. (you can always adjust the LPF if you don't like it)

This setting should be a very safe setting.

>Thats probably your best bet without the fancy tools

I'll have to kindly disagree as explained above.

Actually you don't need any tools if you take your time and listen and feel everything.

I saw you replied and came in here just to read it. :P

I'm gonna hate

How does having a bass control knob change this tuning? should I tune it with the knob all the way up, or unplugged or what?

Most bass knobs are gain knobs, they vary the gain from the lowest setting to your current gain setting. If it is not a boost control knob you will want to tune with it all the way up so when it's wide open you're at max safe power for any song.

I'm gonna hate

Archived