Alright guys, I am all done hearing about "clamping". The numbers generated from that are so far off and don't account for many factors. I just did a quick little dyno run vs the clamps tonight to show how drastic the error is. If you want to know more detail about why clamping doesn't work, there is another video on the D'Amore Engineering youtube channel that describes the problems in detail.

Clamps vs Amp Dyno vid here:

Detailed explanation of why clamping is wrong vid here:

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

Untill you make a cost effective way to "clamp" power. I guess your going to have to hear about people clamping it the cost effective (poor people) way.

Vehicle: 1995 Impala SSHead Unit: Pioneer AVH-P4400BHMids And Highs: (still deciding)Batteries: 1 Deka Group 34

Time to make a race car.My Build Log: Solo X 12"http://www.stevemead...don15zzz-build/My Build Log: DC lvl 4 xl 15"http://www.stevemead...don15zzz-build-My Wall Build Log: 4 Lanzar 15's/ 3k+ RMShttp://www.stevemead...t-by-techforce/My Feedback:http://www.stevemead...1

In all seriousness though, hopefully your favorite local install shop will pony up for one and have "dyno days" where people can bring their vehicle in, strap it down to the dyno and find the weak links in their system. We really believe this is going to be a great tool for dealers to show people why REAL copper wire is more expensive, why REAL amplifiers are more expensive, etc. The old adage "you get what you pay for" is pretty accurate when it comes to mobile audio. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, but when a 50 foot spool of 1/0 awg wire only weighs 10 pounds, something is horribly wrong.

• Like (+1 Rep) 6

wait, a fosgate amp doing less than rated? ok, lets see the 2ohm test.

edit:

does the birth sheet for that amp say 1862 @ 4ohm? just curious.

Edited by strangeduck

i see you lost 126 watts with only .5v drop. So, the fosgates hate anything below 13v, or at least this one does.

edit

dammit, i dont have any graph paper and i don't have excel installed. i want to chart the voltage drop and power output drop and see what the curve looks like. It's not quite linear, but it looks like it has the potential to do over 1600 at 14.4v. I take back what i said lol.

Edited by strangeduck

One thing that might need to be clarified. The voltage readings that the AD-1 records are taken at the amplifier's power and ground connectors. The voltage at my battery was almost 1.0V higher than the voltage at the amplifier on the 1 ohm runs. Typical resistance of 1/0 pure copper is around 0.0983 milliohms per foot. In a typical install one might have 15 feet on the positive side, and an equivalent resistance on the ground side (either thru chassis or with wire). So now we have 0.0983 milliohms per foot X 30 feet = 2.95 milliohms. This amp was probably pulling 250 amps or so during testing so 250 amps X 2.95 milliohms = 0.74 volts. Then add the losses at every connection point and we've probably found my missing volt.

Untill you make a cost effective way to "clamp" power. I guess your going to have to hear about people clamping it the cost effective (poor people) way.

Just clamp and divide by 3 lol

so.. lots of amplifier companies are going to have to change there model #'s ? brz 2400

800 lol

• Like (+1 Rep) 4

Banner_468x60.jpg

REP