Second Skin Audio

Slotted Port on an angle? Good or bad idea?

BMX-Casey

Basically i'm going to be building a box with a slot port, the subs will be mounted on top facing the roof, but the port will be facing forwards towards the front seats.

The front panel that will be facing the front seats will be on a slight angle.. (Approx 17 degrees). Is this going to cause problems as the top of the port will allow air to exit before the bottom of the port?

i've always used a flat entrance and exit for ports but I'd imagine you'd be fine as long as you mirrored the rear of the port so you have equal lengths at all heights.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Go aero. I tried a slot on my slanted box and it just won't work as good. Also an aero port will require less space and is easier to install in my opinion. Just cut a hole and stick it in there.

With a slot port with an angle you have to make sure your port slants with you're baffle because air leaking could be a issue.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Basically i'm going to be building a box with a slot port, the subs will be mounted on top facing the roof, but the port will be facing forwards towards the front seats.

The front panel that will be facing the front seats will be on a slight angle.. (Approx 17 degrees). Is this going to cause problems as the top of the port will allow air to exit before the bottom of the port?

What vehicle is that box for?

Here's some feedback that you may find useful or not, in hatchback type of vehicles something like this usually get done with good results:

dcl4B-1.jpg

So port back, also doing a slanted box is difficult and you should only do it if you really need the extra space. I'd say that you can port in a slanted surface but it's usually not necessary either, there's always alternatives.

Hi, thanks Joe! My current sub has two ports, one facing backwards and one sidewards, the reason I have chosen to port on the side is for looks and more air forcement towards the front of the car, I'm trying to keep the port not on the rear of the back facing backwards (which will also be slanted) as I'm doing a full boot build with amps on show etc, as it will be a show car once complete as its just came out of the bodyshop and had a few things sprayed up and done. The filler on the 'smooth' boot I thought may be likely to crack and break off if I'm to make the port face the back, and probably get a lot more 'rattle' with it facing backwards, the sides will be covered up and will be very close to the sides of the car anyway so the port will have to be either on a slant or on the top of the back with the subs, if you recommend otherwise please do let me know :)

Archived