crossover questions

Jbiddle530

so i have a custom 3 way speakers set but i dont have any crossovers. i am working on an sq system but i dont want to run active.. i know everyone is telling me active but its more hassle than i wanna deal with. i already have an old school eclipse premium 34230 amp which puts out 370w rms x2 @ 4 ohm which is more than enough for a nice 3 way componant set.

i have dayton audio reference series 8" midbass 4 ohm

Dayton audio reference series 6" midrange 4 ohm

Vifa 1" silk dome tweeter 4 ohm

what car audio 3 way crossovers do you guys know of that may wrok for me. i need a crossover that has a low tweeter crossover point below 2500 if at all possible. im wanting a midbass to midrange crossover around 350hz and a midrange to tweeter at about 2200hz but i know with something like this im probably gonna end up having custom ones made. but im hoping someone knows of premades that will work for me

I don't know of any passive crossovers that will give you a low pass filter of 350 Hz. 1 kHz is doable with premade passives. However, this 350 Hz filter may be available on a different amplifier.

You could set your filter on the 8" midbass by using an amplifier that has a high pass filter higher than the 200 Hz max of your 34230. There are good powerful 2-channel amps for under $150 that would do a fine job.

For the mid/tweeter crossover it shouldn't be difficult to find 2-way passive crossovers that will cross them at 2.5 kHz or lower.

In all honesty: active is easier than trying to build a custom crossover.

DD makes a nice crossover. All you need to do is hook it up, count the "clicks" to set your crossover point and you are good to go

I agree also, the 350hz cross over may be hard to find, a 250hz may be more common? Have you checked parts express.com, also check out the12volt.com for passive crossover charts will tell you which chokes, resistors,capacitors to use for building a crossover with either a 6, 12, or 18 db slope. Try to use tweeters with a higher spl than your other drivers. Well passive crossovers are easy and cheap to build either way...Good luck

1974 VW Beetle

2- JL Audio 10w08 subs in ported fiberglass enclosure

Hifonics ZRXLP 6.5C (fronts)

Hifonics HRC 5.2C (rears)

500w Crunch powerzone amp (subs)

600w Crunch powerone amp (components)

3 farad power acoustics cap.

head unit- Planet Audio P385UA

Boss eq 1208

Active is easier than building a custom pair of x-overs for those particular speakers and your cars acoustics. 2 four channels can get you there and there alot that have bandpass capability. It will allow you to adjust the gains for each to help fine tune. If you want to go passive just call PE and they can build you a custom pair of crossovers. Depending on the components used and the slopes you may be looking at up to 200 bux anyway. You can get a ppi amp with bandpass capability, 24db slopes for around the same price. Then you could use the eclipse to power your midbass. Just something to think about.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

You can get a ppi amp with bandpass capability, 24db slopes for around the same price.

Which amps are you thinking of? The current PPI amps have 12 dB slopes on the crossovers.

You can get a ppi amp with bandpass capability, 24db slopes for around the same price.

Which amps are you thinking of? The current PPI amps have 12 dB slopes on the crossovers.

You're right. apologies. Thought they had steeper slopes. Still BP capable.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

In all honesty: active is easier than trying to build a custom crossover.

DD makes a nice crossover. All you need to do is hook it up, count the "clicks" to set your crossover point and you are good to go

yes i know but i dont wanna buy more amps. thats why i wanna go passive with my 2 channel

I agree also, the 350hz cross over may be hard to find, a 250hz may be more common? Have you checked parts express.com, also check out the12volt.com for passive crossover charts will tell you which chokes, resistors,capacitors to use for building a crossover with either a 6, 12, or 18 db slope. Try to use tweeters with a higher spl than your other drivers. Well passive crossovers are easy and cheap to build either way...Good luck

the tweeters are higher. both the midbass and midrange drivers efficiency is 89db and the tweeter is 92. and yes i ahve checked PE thats where i got all these drivers but they are made for 8 ohm drivers.

Archived