Second Skin Audio

help! with Sub/Enclosure/amp?

I have an 80appreciated guage everything and a high output alternator (220) amp.

Now my problem is,when i full tilt my system,my single 15" sub starts to bottom out at ANY frequency from 28-36. It is actually a weird bottom out, after a certain volume the cone starts to sink inwards causing it to bottom out. As it bottoms out it looks like the subs neutral position has changed about an inch maybe less towards the motor untill the volume is backed off. It does not move outward as it does inward which is weird. It just sinks in followed by a clunking from the coil/motor assy. Only at high volumes followed by a decrease in output.

I at first thought it was the sub,it was a nightshade v1 2nd gen with a pole plug option. I then ordered the newest basket,zv.3 cone & surround,nsv.3 spider pack and rebuilt the sub. It still does the same thing. Then I figured I might have to much volume in my box (5.8 gross 3.6 net) tuned to 31.8hz. I then filled the box with fiberglass resin and raised the floor inside by an inch. I am now near 3.2 cu.ft net after displacement. It hits nowhere as low as it used to,but I did gain some higher bass output but whatever. The issue is still there,even at tuning frequency,where it looks as if my cone is bearly moving will change to definitely moving at the same frequency when turned up. Wtf I am stumped.

Amp is a saz 2500, ssf set around 28 to my ears anyway,gain is 1/2,bass boost 0,phase 0,sub controlat 0(80psr network mode) voltage drop while full tilt is .5 out of 13.9 so 13.4v and the sub starts sinking and bottoming. I assume 13.4 volts full tilt is decent for a saz amp.

I am now thinking i have a defective amp,don't get me wrong this thing has enough output to flap my sunroof open

Any help is appre

I can't even begin to explain any reason as to why this might be happening, but maybe posting specs of the box might help other experienced members help you? Could be the weirdest thing like if you've got an L-shaped port and it opens then turns right behind the sub and that port wall sits too close to the motor so it's sort of choking the sub (not saying this is what it is, just saying might be a really weird reason you might not think of at first).

I really don't know, just rambling on but maybe some box specs and any other info you have might help

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

I can't even begin to explain any reason as to why this might be happening, but maybe posting specs of the box might help other experienced members help you? Could be the weirdest thing like if you've got an L-shaped port and it opens then turns right behind the sub and that port wall sits too close to the motor so it's sort of choking the sub (not saying this is what it is, just saying might be a really weird reason you might not think of at first).

I really don't know, just rambling on but maybe some box specs and any other info you have might help

I posted this thread twice,the original thread is here

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/168010-help-with-subenclosureamp/

My port and port wall is atleast 25" away from the face of the box.

Archived