Second Skin Audio

help! with Sub/Enclosure/amp?

I have an 80prs,0 guage everything and a high output alternator (220) amp.

Now my problem is,when i full tilt my system,my single 15" sub starts to bottom out at ANY frequency from 28-36. It is actually a weird bottom out, after a certain volume the cone starts to sink inwards causing it to bottom out. As it bottoms out it looks like the subs neutral position has changed about an inch maybe less towards the motor untill the volume is backed off. It does not move outward as it does inward which is weird. It just sinks in followed by a clunking from the coil/motor assy. Only at high volumes followed by a decrease in output.

I at first thought it was the sub,it was a nightshade v1 2nd gen with a pole plug option. I then ordered the newest basket,zv.3 cone & surround,nsv.3 spider pack and rebuilt the sub. It still does the same thing. Then I figured I might have to much volume in my box (5.8 gross 3.6 net) tuned to 31.8hz. I then filled the box with fiberglass resin and raised the floor inside by an inch. I am now near 3.2 cu.ft net after displacement. It hits nowhere as low as it used to,but I did gain some higher bass output but whatever. The issue is still there,even at tuning frequency,where it looks as if my cone is bearly moving will change to definitely moving at the same frequency when turned up. Wtf I am stumped.

Amp is a saz 2500, ssf set around 28 to my ears anyway,gain is 1/2,bass boost 0,phase 0,sub controlat 0(80psr network mode) voltage drop while full tilt is .5 out of 13.9 so 13.4v and the sub starts sinking and bottoming. I assume 13.4 volts full tilt is decent for a saz amp.

I am now thinking i have a defective amp,don't get me wrong this thing has enough output to flap my sunroof open

Any help is appreciated!

Sound like your box is all wrong

May you please explain? My box is longer then it is wide.

L31 W24 H15.5 / port L40 W4.1 H15

About 62" of port area

There are no leakes what so ever and the box is forward firing with the trunk completly sealed off

Box is fully fiberglass resined on the inside with 12x12 1" braces on the inside wall.

Its like the sub never fully extends out while playing around tuning but it bottoms out at the same time. Its only at high volumes then the sub looses some output and I noticed it is further in then it should be. Sounds like the coil motor slapping but at the same time it will not move out as far as it moves in, only during high volume situations any frequency even at tuning.

• 2 weeks later...

After adding another battery,reconing my sub,filling in my enclosure to bring the volume down,extensive troubleshooting ect... I found that my sundown saz-2500 was the problem. It would bottom out my sub without full excursion even at tuning frequency. Just picked up a dual input audioque 3500 and the bottom out problem went away. Infact it will not bottom out untill below 24hz which is impressive for me. The nightshadev2/zv3/ns3 combo works very nice with this amp. I'm almost convinced that it wants more power! Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

Archived