Sundown Audio

Dirty power?

CRudy

Sorry guys, i went to bed early last night, went to school and went fishing after school today so i just got home. Anyways i drive a 2002 jeep liberty sport. Also, if by chance I hook up my music to run in my speakers with a jack and I am giving some "dirty" power, what would you suggest i use instead of the jack?

Are you using a phone or a Ipod? If your using a phone and your head-unit is blue-tooth capable, steam it that way. Or if unit isn't blue-tooth capable or you are using a Ipod use a Ipod/I phone to usb cable. Another option is to load your music to usb zip drives, again if your head-unit has that option.

i'm using an iphone. Yeah my headunit is a POS jensen so it doesnt really have too much features such as bluetooth and a usb slot, but i did read a thread a while back about head unit clipping and shit it was just kinda confusing haha. I would think it'd be sweet to upload all my music on a usb drive and just plug that into the headunit and what not but thats in the future when i have the money to by a nicer headunit

A dirty output and clipping are not the same things. Clipping is generally user error at the amp, head unit, or can even be in the music and clipping is definitely damaging. dirty power will produce static. This can be harmful over time, but it's mostly annoying.

There are some other funny things that can happen to a wave form but this answers the question.

Here is an example of dirty power vs clean. all those "hairs" on the dirty signal that stick above the dotted line would be clipping. this is how it can be damaging over time.

Fig_2_Clean_Dirty_SinewaveColor(1).jpg

And this is a clipped signal.

400px-Clipping_1KHz_10V_DIV_clip_A_5ohms

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

There is a difference. although everyone else in this thread seems to think they are the same as well.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

In your explanation I take it as a dirty signal being a bad cable end or loose connection while clipped would be an amp gain set to high? correct?

Can you elaborate more dirty power as apposed to dirty signal?

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

when people usually talk about an amp producing dirty power, they mean the AC output of the amp. several things can cause a dirty signal before the amp but that's irrelevant when you're talking about and amp's capability. saying "that brand of amplifier puts out dirty power... when you have a noisy input signal." would be pretty dumb right?

now with a signal, that is still the AC sine wave. people usually mean the RCA input to an amp when they talk about the signal but the output is just the same signal, amplified. noise can be introduced at any time in the signal path.

Archived