Second Skin Audio

Enclosure help for sa 8 v2 for cuddy cabin in boat

Long time reader, first time poster. I would like to get some suggestions with help designing a box for my boat. My boat is a formula 20' with a cuddy cabin. Amp pushing the sub is a t1000.1 bd. Zapco ag350 pushing a pair of fosgate 6.5 components. My plan is to run 1 sub for right now at 2 ohm. the amp specs at 750 watts rms at 2 ohm. If not enough I will add a second sub box to drop it to 1 ohm which my amp puts out 1000 watts rms at 1 ohm. I will be listening to rap, dubstep, rock and country, so would like to build a box that is pretty universal.

The opening to get into cuddy is 25 1/2'' tall and 18'' wide, the spot for the box measures 23'' tall, 20'' wide, and 18'' deep. The box will be on the sides of the boat so if needed I could run aero port along the side of the hull so that it will not be in the way. Open to any and all suggestions for design of this enclosure. It is the same dimensions for both sides of the cuddy were sub placement will be.

F42CF9BE-66C2-43E3-8638-7FD47DC6C8B6-596

70D286AB-8E6B-4137-A679-650536A5B0F3-596

For the sack of power

Why not look at a T-line and run 1-200rms to it

As I don't think you'll have the elec to support it

But for the power you plane to feed it

0.6cuft 8-9sq" of port at

Because of the wide diverse music idd stick with 34-36hz

Thank you John for the response, I'm upgrading the alternator to atleast a 200 amp singer or mechman. Going to run a 2 guage to accessory battery for amp so it will no effect my starting battery. With the specs you gave, how big do you thing this box will be?

Here is a box spec that has been built before giving good results, for use within rated power and a little above :

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 34 Hz
Vb = 0.66 ft^3

External Height = 9.5 in
External Width = 21.25 in
External Depth = 14 in

Port Width = 1 3/8 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.
* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Front & Back (3 parts) = 21 1/4 x 9 1/2

Left & Right Sides = 11 3/4 x 8

Top & Bottom = 21 1/4 x 11 3/4

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 10 3/8 x 8
Extension = 16 1/4 x 8
Extension 2 = 3 1/8 x 8

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

1xsa8V2PFSF.jpg

Important notes:

- The port needs 1 3/8" of free airspace in front of it for proper operation.

- Setting your amp subsonic filter to 28Hz is suggested.

Thank you Joe and John for the specs on the box. Mostly hip hop and rock will be played. I ordered a second 8 which will bring down to 1 ohm at 500 watts a sub. Will get this boxed fabbed up by a friend as I have no wood working skills or tools. Thanks again for your help

Archived