Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

What should I tune my box to? Differences?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Does this look ok?

Capture-1_zps2f22c62c.jpg

sorry for bumping, but I want this at the bottom of the thread for now.

2001 Chevy Silverado Ext. cab - Kenwood KIV-BT901 - 2x 12" DC Audio level 3 m2D1 in 4.2 cuft. @29Hz. - DC Audio 2.0k - Alpine Type-X components - US Amps USA-4300x - XS Power D4700 - Bosch 145a alternator

Posted

The problem with tuning lower than recommended is that you lose overall system output for a few tenths down low. If you do listen to mostly low stuff like Decaf, then it may be beneficial to prevent unloading.

BUT... jacob knows full well how we like to listen. So his tuning and enclosure recommendations are for the best combination of output and low end extension. I don't put too much stock into small signal box software, but if you model an SA12 for the best frequency response, 26hz gives you the best response. But the 35hz tune that's recommended gives a sweet ass bump between 30-50hz. Where most subbass is anyway.

The "flat" line is 26hz tune. The "bumped" one is 35hz. Anywhere between there will be just fine :) Good luck. P.S. - I recommend subs up, port to the side.

sa12_zps30312d68.png

Posted

So i wouldn't be completely crazy to tune in the high 20s?

Also, if running subs up, one port to the side, that's a 3 wall port right?

2001 Chevy Silverado Ext. cab - Kenwood KIV-BT901 - 2x 12" DC Audio level 3 m2D1 in 4.2 cuft. @29Hz. - DC Audio 2.0k - Alpine Type-X components - US Amps USA-4300x - XS Power D4700 - Bosch 145a alternator

Posted

One important question that has gone unanswered...

Am I supposed to leave a certain distance between the back wall and the part of the port that runs along the back side of the box? While trying to come up with a design I am just leaving the same distance as the port opening, is this right or no?

example: if my port opening is 3.5" wide, I leave 3.5" between back wall and port.

2001 Chevy Silverado Ext. cab - Kenwood KIV-BT901 - 2x 12" DC Audio level 3 m2D1 in 4.2 cuft. @29Hz. - DC Audio 2.0k - Alpine Type-X components - US Amps USA-4300x - XS Power D4700 - Bosch 145a alternator

Posted

Yes, keep the port a constant size through the bend.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 906 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...