Second Skin Audio

3 ported on 1500 or 4 sealed on 2K

Whats up fellas, I wanted to get some input on what you guys think. I have 4 Sundown audio SD-10's that will be pushed bey a Planet audio BB2400.1. After doing some measurements I dont think I can get optimal box volume for all 4 in a ported box so I was thinking of dropping it to 3 of them in a ported enclosure, that would raise the impedence a bit so I figure about 1500 watts. Or I can run all 4 of them in a sealed box and give them about 2K watts. I am more concerned with the lower frequencys which is why I am thinking of giving up cone area and wattage to be able to tune lower. Do you guys think with the extra cone area and wattage that I could get as much low frequency output with the sealed setup?

Thanks

RB

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

2 Sundown Z18v4 walled on 2 Lanzar Opti 7k's strapped at 1/2ohm = each amp wired to 1/4ohm. Havent checked impedence rise so not sure what they are actually seeing. 6 group 31AGM's.

2-Eclipse 34230's each one running 2 Eminence 6.5" Beta 6A. These are beastly mids rated at 350w program power. I was skeptical but the eclipse amps are 370w x 2 and when there was 4 mids on 1 amp I could push it into thermal protect within a song so added the 2nd amp. 

Eclipse 4212 running 4 CT sounds Meso tweeters. and 2 DLS ultimate tweeters up high to raise the soundstage.

96' Ford F350 4wd 4d long bed 7.3 diesel with 91k miles. Will be the sound quality rig if I can ever find the time.

I would do 3 ported.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Sounding kind of unanimous at this point....any other thoughts?

I'm torn as to what to do, I have 4 subs but on the other hand im kind of leaning towards ported as well, I've always been a ported guy and to top things off it would be a little easier on my electrical since I don't have dedicated batteries for the amp, although it is a diesel so I do run 2 group 27's with the stock setup.

RB

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

2 Sundown Z18v4 walled on 2 Lanzar Opti 7k's strapped at 1/2ohm = each amp wired to 1/4ohm. Havent checked impedence rise so not sure what they are actually seeing. 6 group 31AGM's.

2-Eclipse 34230's each one running 2 Eminence 6.5" Beta 6A. These are beastly mids rated at 350w program power. I was skeptical but the eclipse amps are 370w x 2 and when there was 4 mids on 1 amp I could push it into thermal protect within a song so added the 2nd amp. 

Eclipse 4212 running 4 CT sounds Meso tweeters. and 2 DLS ultimate tweeters up high to raise the soundstage.

96' Ford F350 4wd 4d long bed 7.3 diesel with 91k miles. Will be the sound quality rig if I can ever find the time.

Archived