Sergeant_Skyrim Posted May 28, 2013 Report Posted May 28, 2013 Just a random thought I had, but I know that box specs and all can determine the power handling of subs to an extent as well as the bandwidth it'll play, etc. So that got me to wondering about the PWX 6.5's that I've bought. Should these be mounted in an IB sort of setup (like a door pod for example), or would you be better off doing something like making a small like .5 cu ft enclosure or even port them. Idk, just one of the random thoughts I had earlier when I noticed that my order status had changed If anybody's got any sort of insight or experience to this I'm all ears Build in progress
Skullz Posted May 28, 2013 Report Posted May 28, 2013 I think pro audio have been designed to work best in an enclosure but i'm just taking a guess at that and not really sure if that is even correct, and with components, they have been designed to work best in the car doors that don't require an enclosure. Just my .02 on it so take it for what it's worth. 01 Ford focus ZX3 Pioneer AVH-X491BHS PPI PC 4800.2 Morel Maximo 6.5" x2
Sergeant_Skyrim Posted May 28, 2013 Author Report Posted May 28, 2013 I mean that makes sense, considering the high RMS rating of them. I tried googling along the lines of 'Crescendo Audio PWX airspace' and other stuff like that and couldn't find much, nor could I find a manual online. I came across Snowdrifter's review on them though where he said that 100w RMS was a more suitable rating cuz his would get smelly on higher power. Didn't know if different applications like door vs. sealed airspace vs. ported enclosure would determine power handling as well as sound. I assume it does affect both to an extent, but what I'm wondering is why and how if so. Hopefully one of the veterans can chime in on this though, pretty excited to finally upgrade from stock mids and highs lol Build in progress
fox_racin4 Posted May 29, 2013 Report Posted May 29, 2013 I run my AB SQ8s in a sealed pod, not sure what the air space is tho And power ratings vary alot, mostly becuse of how they can be crossed over 1998 gmc extd cab 12 crossfire C710s 4 SAZ-4500s 3 Singer 400A altsbuncha mids/highs Team Asshole
Neckbeard Posted May 29, 2013 Report Posted May 29, 2013 I've always wondered the same thing Build log, Super slow!!: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/168096-slow-neckbeards-1970-opel-gt/
bcbrassard Posted May 29, 2013 Report Posted May 29, 2013 I know when i enclosed my doors with metal and wood to about 95% and sound deadened inside of door and door panel plus acoustic foam on inside of the door that my T265 comps came alive. Alot of midbass response and cleaner sound. Took like 60+ hrs to do all 4 doors but well worth the efforts due to SQ coming from the doors. I have the mids crossover @ 80hz running active and they are door shakers for sure! just my experience with them being sealed and sound deadened to hell.
Sergeant_Skyrim Posted May 29, 2013 Author Report Posted May 29, 2013 Welp, guess that only leaves me one option...test it out for myself! SSA just marked it from Awaiting Fulfillment to Awaiting Shipping earlier (Tuesday) so as long as it makes it by the weekend of June 7th I'll be able to test it out. What sort of air space would you guys suggest trying for the 6.5s? I've never had any experience with any speakers or anything other than my 12s for that matter. I'm guessing around .5-.75 cu ft sealed though? And that setup sounds really nice bcbrassard, that was after doing everything you wrote up there to the doors? Build in progress
bcbrassard Posted May 30, 2013 Report Posted May 30, 2013 Welp, guess that only leaves me one option...test it out for myself! SSA just marked it from Awaiting Fulfillment to Awaiting Shipping earlier (Tuesday) so as long as it makes it by the weekend of June 7th I'll be able to test it out. What sort of air space would you guys suggest trying for the 6.5s? I've never had any experience with any speakers or anything other than my 12s for that matter. I'm guessing around .5-.75 cu ft sealed though? And that setup sounds really nice bcbrassard, that was after doing everything you wrote up there to the doors? Yes But it was before i did the Time Alignment and auto EQ. I finally started tuning the 16 band EQ also and it sounds really good and loud. I still want to make some kicker panels to house 6.5" middrivers as well but also was thinking of upgrading to T3s. Not sure which was to go. But Pics in photbucket show what i have done to seal my doors. And thanks, it was a labor of love!
TRON Posted May 30, 2013 Report Posted May 30, 2013 I used Install Bay's speaker baffles for my 6.5 components, they basically made the door pods into small sealed enclosures. I was able to run a little more than RMS to mine but more importantly it increased the sound quality in the mid bass range. Have a go at some baffles, they are relatively cheap and work well in my experience. Avalanche Alpine Type S comps Alpine Type S 10'' Alpine MPR-F300 Alpine MRX-M50 Mechamn 270 XS Power d3400s
mrd6 Posted May 30, 2013 Report Posted May 30, 2013 .5-.75 is a safe range to start at, be sure to stuff the pod with polyfill or some sort of acoustic foam to kill standing waves and resonances inside the enclosure. This will be much more noticeable in a mid range speaker than a sealed sub driver My Build Log: http://www.stevemead...-sundown-power/ Team NorthWestSPL
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.