Sundown Audio

Amp Tuning advice

Kenny Clark

Well now that I have my subs working correctly, (Post from earlier in Subwoofers & Enclosures) Its time to get my amp adjusted. I dont have a DD-1 nor can I get one. Ive watched some vids on adj with a DMM But I didnt know if someone might have another idea or method that they would like to share with this NOOOOOB.

Skar 800.1

2-15" Skar IVX. Rated @ 300 Rms.

Also help not just with the gain. It has a Subsonic Filter, Bass Boost, LPF, Phase. I just dont want to go turning knobs not knowing exactly what im doing.

Thanks guys!

95 Civic 4 door-

2005 Chevy SilveradoSkar 15' IVX (2)Skar SK 800.1DSkar SK 85.4 A/B - Yet to be installed

2-Deep cycle Marine Batteries

Big 3

A whole shit load of 1/0 welding cable. Lil overkill for what I have but I have it so Im using it!

like i suggested in the other thread.. check out the dso nano on ebay.. great bang for your buck.

if you're doing it by ear, then it's gonna be one of those things where you have to play around with it to get it right.. keep the bass boost all the way down.. and what kind of enclosure do you have, and what are the specs on it? need those to properly set filters.

Ahhhh ok. Not sure on exactly what info you need but the box is 6.2 Ft3 @ 34 HZ. What else you need boss? JoeX designed my box for me so Im going back to that old thread to look. I think that was all there was for specs. Well besides measurements.

95 Civic 4 door-

2005 Chevy SilveradoSkar 15' IVX (2)Skar SK 800.1DSkar SK 85.4 A/B - Yet to be installed

Big 3

A whole shit load of 1/0 welding cable. Lil overkill for what I have but I have it so Im using it!

honestly you can get it pretty good by ear, using a constant sine wave test tone, turning the gain up till you hear the note starting to distort then turning it down a tad. LPF should be set around 60-80hz max, subsonic 15-20hz, use NO distortion booster aka bass boost, phase should be left alone unless woofers are inverted. if your using a mono and just trying to tune an amp for lows use a 40hz test tone, you can make on audacity, and 1000hz for mids and highs amp (4 chan) if using one. also check to see when your deck distorts, same procedure can be used if using deck to power door speakers, listen to tone, and when it starts to get muddy and distorted, back it down a click or 2 and only turn the deck up the the vol just BEFORE clipping and tune sub amp accordingly.

Ok so any of you guys used a DMM? Ive watched all the vids on how to do it and what not but here is my problem. I tried it this afternoon and idk if I did something wrong but with the figures I came up with my gain is all the way up.

Skar 800.1

rms @2ohm=570 X 1

So I did 570 X 2 = 1140

(the 2 is for 2 ohms)

Square root of 1140 = 33.76

So according to what ive seen I should set the voltage to 33.76 with my gain. Well.......It wont go that high. I cant remember exactly but I think it was around 22 or 26...Ill have to do it again. At any rate, my gain is set at full tilt willy! Lol. It still plays good...I had to turn some things down on my radio so that I could utilize my bass knob a little more. You think I should leave it there? Turn it down a little? The subs (Skar IVX 15s) are rated for 300rms so i would think they would be fine. Im still nervous about slamming the fuck out of the subs...Im a pussy I know!!

Any thoughts?

95 Civic 4 door-

Big 3

Closest DD-1 is in Mass...Lol.

95 Civic 4 door-

Big 3

Closest DD-1 is in Mass...Lol.

yea but I'm in maine every now and then lol

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

I know man.....I gotta get some cosmetic stuff done then maybe ill try and hook up w ya.

95 Civic 4 door-

Big 3

Archived