Revolution Idea- Goodbye Batteries! 15k+ Farads!

Found it:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/157561-capacitors-whats-the-real-story/page-13

Capacitance in parallel is additive, not in series, it reduces.

Therefore seven 2600F caps in series would equal ~370F.

They require (should have) a balancing circuit so they don't charge at different voltages.

A balancing circuit will slowly drain an electrical system, therefore I'd be a little leery at only running caps.

A conventional battery will still have a TON more energy storage and be much more reliable as your sole power source.

This cap-bank is a great idea for some voltage stabilization, but I wouldn't get rid of my batteries quite yet.

Could you wire up a cap bank liek this with a balancing circuit, but wire the circuit into a switch so you can shut it off when you park your car? Or even relay to ignition wire so accesory turns on the balancing circuit?

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Found it:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/157561-capacitors-whats-the-real-story/page-13

Capacitance in parallel is additive, not in series, it reduces.

Therefore seven 2600F caps in series would equal ~370F.

They require (should have) a balancing circuit so they don't charge at different voltages.

A balancing circuit will slowly drain an electrical system, therefore I'd be a little leery at only running caps.

A conventional battery will still have a TON more energy storage and be much more reliable as your sole power source.

This cap-bank is a great idea for some voltage stabilization, but I wouldn't get rid of my batteries quite yet.

Could you wire up a cap bank liek this with a balancing circuit, but wire the circuit into a switch so you can shut it off when you park your car? Or even relay to ignition wire so accesory turns on the balancing circuit?

You could, but the cap-bank is still connected to your battery(s) so that would allow some caps to charge to different voltages which you don't want.

The balancing circuit keeps everything balanced all the time.

A better method would be to disconnect the entire cap-bank from your charging circuit.

Then the caps could discharge from the balancing circuit and the whole mechanism is recharged when you reconnect it (start your car).

The downside to this is the enormous strain on your electrical system to charge that cap-bank up each time.

Similar situation to jumping your car because of a dead battery and letting the alternator charge that dead battery which is a huge electrical current load.

Another problem would be a switching relay which could handle that current. Basically a relay that could handle hundreds of amps of current.

While those are available, the switching contacts could build up some resistance from the switching and probably cause some voltage drop which you're trying to get rid of in the first place.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

No matter what you do, you'll never get batteries to discharge as fast as cap. Plain and simple. So if you're burping, you'll get more instant power. Probably more than you know what do with.

Also if you're running a 12v system (14v charging) and you have an adjustable regulator, you can dial up to 15.5 or so depending on how many caps you seriesed. You'll actually get that extra bit of stored power, not just trickle down. Caps are very dangerous too, so you need to take extra care when handling them. They're not as forgiving as batteries.

Archived