Midbass Question for the SQ people.

sean 371

For my first post, I have a couple questions about midbass/components and crossover settings.  I may be coming into possession of a pair of 10w3s, and I was planning on using those in conjunction with 2 12's as a low midbass to fill the gap between the components and the subs, in part for looks, but also for the benefit of not having the speakers work as hard.  The 10's would hopefully go in a center console, firing at the doors.  So my questions are:

1) Are 10's too big for midbass? I know 8's are usually the biggest ive seen.

2) What frequency should i tune the w3's to?  ie, how big of a chamber per sub, sealed.

3) Where should i set my low/high pass on the crossovers to, well, pretty much everything in the system?

I actually am still planning out my system, so I'm not completely set on anything, but I'm planning on 2 alpine type s 12's, a set of amped mb quarts for the front stage (not sure which line yet, dunno about my budget), and a set of type r coaxes with the head unit bridged to power them.  I'll lose my fade/balance features but thats not important.  All amped by Kenwood amps, mostly because I already have two of them and because I can't afford the more desirable brands.

I've seen some great work and a lot of knowledgable people on this site, so I thought I'd ask here.  Thanks in advance, let me know if I need to provide any more info. 

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

i say they are too big. i've never seen them used for midbass before.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

I wouldn't say they are too big for midbass but if you ARE going to use them for midbass make sure you have a powerful lower end to keep things balanced. Or set the gains accordingly. Nonetheless, I think they are good for midbass  :^

This is how I like my frequencies...maybe you might like them too:

SUB >>> 80Hz and below (general recommendations)          60Hz and below (how I like it; set your low pass on your c-over to 60Hz)

Midbass>>> 90Hz - 400Hz

Mids>>> 400Hz -4kHz

Highs>>>2kHz - 20KHz

I really hope this helps.

Thanks guys thats exactly what I needed!  I'll be sure to try those settings out dale.  This is my first SQ system, so I just wanted to make sure.  Should I be leaving all the settings on the head unit flat and use the amp gains and c/o settings to do all the tuning?  That's what I had planned on doing...

Subwoofer Wall

First of all, the size of the driver means zero... PERIOD.

The fs of the woofer is to low, the mms is to high.

Would it work? Well, you prob. wouldn't know the difference, since it's your first setup.

Bttw I hate quartz.

You could post what car you have, what equip. you allready have, and what your budget is. And we could pick you out a set-up..

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Biggest prob haveing such large mid basses is, you cant have the frequencies over lap between the mid/sub woofers, and placement is important. If you can get those 10s in your doors, and band pass them with like a 24db oct xover from say 300-60hz, and the 12"s 60hz down, all some redicules ocatve 24db higher, then your fine. You might wanna keep the 10s in very small sealed enclosures to keep the bass from playing to low. But again, useing a Dedicated TRUE subwoofer with that large of cone as mid bass is kinda crazy... throw a 18 in the back, and let it play from 30hz down, and the 10s 30hz up, then you got some sick sound transistion    ;)

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

To be quite honest this is mostly hypothetical.  I'm selling my car next month, and I'll be getting something like a dodge ram quad cab or a silverado ext cab.  My budget, I'll know that when I see how much money I have left after selling my car.  Probably somewhere around $1k.  I already have a 550 watt kenwood amp and a diamond 12d6, and my pioneer h/u.  Seeing as it's going in a truck, and I want to keep the back seat, I can't really go any higher than 2 12's.  Just for monetary purposes, I'd like to keep the amp I have for the subs.  I also have a 200 watt kenwood amp that I was planning on amping the component set with.  As far as what brands to go with, I'm open to suggestions, I know you guys know your shit.  Midbass probably isn't all that necessary for as basic of a system as this, but 2 10's in a center console would look bitchin.  So yea, thanks for any recommendations you can give me. 

btw ray whats up with hatin mb quarts? I've heard nothin but good stuff about em.  I know focal has some good stuff too, but I dunno if I can afford their stuff.

Subwoofer Wall

First of all, the size of the driver means zero... PERIOD.

The fs of the woofer is to low, the mms is to high.

Would it work? Well, you prob. wouldn't know the difference, since it's your first setup.

Bttw I hate quartz.

You could post what car you have, what equip. you allready have, and what your budget is. And we could pick you out a set-up..

Ray you have a very good point. Larger speakers with low Fs tend to play naturally lower than others. Sometimes, it's so bad that some subwoofers have problems producing frequencies over 60 Hertz!

Not to be a dick, but I know I had a great point, hence why I posted it.. umm but alot of people overlook basics.

As far as overlap, now that in itsself is debatable.. I like overlap to the point of the f3, some dont agree, but thats audio I guess..

And for quartz, well some say focal sounds harsh. I dont know why they confuse accurate with harshness, but once again a totally diff. story.

Not that I think quartz is crap but I would not buy it.

Now the funny part is I have a set of quartz 6 1/2 in my car right now.. Got them for free and didnt have anything else.. I starting to think i was better off with no music at all.. No warmth at all, about as hollow as a pioneer tsa. series driver. haha

and those that question it I have a ref. line dls amp pushing them. 230rms to each side. So its not my power. Allthough they do sound better than the entry level dls 6 1/2's i put in there.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Archived