Who here runs battery isolators?

Well, that the post says, what do you think the pro's and cons of running battery isolators are in your opinion?

I have never ran battery isolators, because I have never seen a need to.

Over the years I have ran quite a few 100% reliable multi battery setups, and never used battery isolators.

The reason I am asking, is because when I was at a car show this weekend, an installer for a shop around here asked me where my battery isolators were, and when I told him i did not ever run isolators he asked why not, and I said, because in the installs i have done I have never seen any benefit in installing battery isolators and never had any issues.

So, lets hear some feedback on this subject. The local person that told me battery isolators were never worth running set a DB world record back in the early 2000's, so never thought about using them, and through the setups always being reliable, and car always starts, i never use them.

heres the quote of the world record, again, this was back in 2002 if i remember correctly

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Springfield, Missouri, May 4-5, 2002 - Pure Sound, of Ozark, Missouri, with their yellow 1974 VW Bus "Big Jim" armed with fifteen Cerwin-Vega Strokers 12's crushed the current Extreme 13+ World Record.

Team Pure Sound qualified with a 175.4 dB and backed it up with a 175.5 dB, setting a new dB Drag Racing Extreme 13+ World Record and also establishing a new Overall World Record, 175.5 dB! This is the highest ever recorded score at a certified dB Drag Racing event.

XS-power1.jpg

one pro is that you can run your XS power batteries and standard car batteries together without decreasing the max voltage of your XS deep cycle batteries

also you have the standard battery with generally more cranking amps for starting the car

please correct me if I'm wrong

one pro is that you can run your XS power batteries and standard car batteries together without decreasing the max voltage of your XS deep cycle batteries

also you have the standard battery with generally more cranking amps for starting the car

I woulldnt consider that a pro, its more less a con.

Since If you had that battery replaced with a quality agm battery (even if its not xs power) you would be gaining a good deal of reserve benefiting your setup better.

I woulldnt consider that a pro, its more less a con.

Since If you had that battery replaced with a quality agm battery (even if its not xs power) you would be gaining a good deal of reserve benefiting your setup better.

Thats what im saying, and why i never wanted to run them,

Now given, I could see if someone wanted to run the stereo with the car off until the batteries are dead and still be able to start the car after that happens, Id imagine that would be the only benefit, but who'd wanna do that shit anyways, lol

with no replies of battery isolator users,

1921148.jpg

XS-power1.jpg

• 6 months later...

i will be an user of that isolator...i got an 200amp isolator diode for my trunk...i didnt have enough money to get 2 agm batt,so i kept the original one up front,and a poser sonic in the back...for those 2 types of batt,i don't have choice but to hook them like that....and i do a lot of camping and moviepark(outside cinema)....last year,after the second movie,truck wont start...so that motivated me to do it...

will be install tonight,hope everything will go well :)

2x SSA XCON 15''

2 basworx 3000.1d

1 kinetik 1800 & exide 85amph

skyhigh 1/0 all-around

Grimreaper spl team co-president

Isolator pfffttrt not this guy.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

If you aren't stupid about running your system with the engine off, there's no need to use an isolator (exceptions below).

You're better off using the starting (primary) battery and the secondary battery to run the system whether the engine is running or not.

That way they each sees a shallow discharge, rather than the secondary doing twice as much work and having to recover.

If you use an isolator and run the secondary down on a regular basis, you'll end up having to replace it more often.

I'm not gonna wast my money on isolators.

That said...

Utility and public service vehicles that regularly run radio or light systems with the engine off can benefit from the use of isolators.

Those guys generally don't care enough to watch voltage and in many case have no choice but to run their equipment for extended

periods without the engine running.

And of course as mentioned. Car show guys sometimes have no other option than to run down batteries.

Those are the only two situations I can think of that make sense to use isolators. But for us daily guys...no need.

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon Pioneer 9400BH Fi Q 15, SAZ1500dV3

The first build>>> http://www.stevemead...-outback-build/

140.9 @ 36hz Sealed on dash!

REBUILT!!! 2 Fi Q 15s, 2 SAZ1500dv3 146.9 @ 39hz dBDRA certified

Archived