Used psu on crunch amp, very quiet music?

Hey all. I found a buddy with a spare psu laying around and decided to hook it up to my spare crunch1100.

I have the black/green jumped on the 24pin

All 12v+ and negatives together and amp remote jumped

rca to 3.5mm for input

Everything runs just fine except its quiet! Is this because the input signal from a phone or zune is not strong enough?

I know the connections look sketchy on the amp, its only very temporary to test. Ill clean it up for final outcome

IMG_20130611_220303_596_zps18a02109.jpg

http://youtu.be/bwqfxtoaTeI

Also when I hooked up the sub to the amp, when I shut off the psu I got the infamous "pop". I tried to replicate it for video but couldnt

MY BUILD

1998 Ford Explorer 2dr sport

1/0 Big 3 1/0 everything

Alpine cda-9884

Crescendo CZ components

(2) Crescendo bc2000's

(2) Jolt 150ah

(2) Yellow top optimas

(1) Juicebox black cherry addition

(1) Mechman 270 avbm

miss my bc5500 and (4) 15's

You know why people are ass holes online but not in person? Because getting punched in the mouth hurts.

Do you turn the amp off with a switch in line between the +12v connections off the PSU and the remote connection on the amp or do you shut it down by killing the entire psu?

If you kill it with shutting down the whole psu it will do that as you are slowly draining the caps on the power supply and the amp to shut it down. As for the low output it could be that your output on your headphones is so low that its not enough for the gain to work with. I had my gain set to max on my amp when I connected my Galaxy s3 to the amp directly and still had no clipping even on a 0db tone. Also what wattage power supply do you have and what is the current capacity of the rails?

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Just killing it with PSU switch. That makes a lot of sense now!

This is what I'm using

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170028

Turned the gain up on that video. Loudest it gets

MY BUILD

1/0 Big 3 1/0 everything

Alpine cda-9884

Crescendo CZ components

(2) Crescendo bc2000's

(2) Jolt 150ah

(2) Yellow top optimas

(1) Mechman 270 avbm

You know why people are ass holes online but not in person? Because getting punched in the mouth hurts.

My only guess is the Logisys isn't a great PSU for computers, let alone providing power to an amp constantly. Their 550w rating is bloated when it comes to load from a computer.

Always better to run a rack amp for in-home use.

EDIT:

actually I wouldn't rule out low output voltage from the zune. Try your phone or something else?

the 3.5mm jack puts out about .3v at full volume. that amp claims that full gain will match to a .2v input so it should work out with both units turned near max.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

I tried my phone, the zune, and an ipod. I dont know why its so quiet

MY BUILD

1/0 Big 3 1/0 everything

Alpine cda-9884

Crescendo CZ components

(2) Crescendo bc2000's

(2) Jolt 150ah

(2) Yellow top optimas

(1) Mechman 270 avbm

Then my best guess is the PSU not delivering. You can test the output with a multimeter to see if its 12v or if its fluctuating or low. From my computer building experience, those Logisys power supplies are absolute garbage and the power claims are grossly exaggerated.

One thing to try is to only use 1 strand instead of combining every cable like you have. Computer power supplies are finicky if all the rails are in use like that, but it's a shot in the dark at that.

Good luck im curious to know what it is too

Thanks a lot man! I'll try it tomorrow

MY BUILD

1/0 Big 3 1/0 everything

Alpine cda-9884

Crescendo CZ components

(2) Crescendo bc2000's

(2) Jolt 150ah

(2) Yellow top optimas

(1) Mechman 270 avbm

Alright I'm back. Unfortunately I couldn't find my multimeter. I tried a few of the individual strands and got the same results. So I took out one of my optimas and hooked up the amp. Same level of volume from the speaker

MY BUILD

1/0 Big 3 1/0 everything

Alpine cda-9884

Crescendo CZ components

(2) Crescendo bc2000's

(2) Jolt 150ah

(2) Yellow top optimas

(1) Mechman 270 avbm

One little thing to try but I doubt its your problem. Try connecting one rca at a time in the amp to make sure both rca inputs work. I had a bad set of rcas before on a setup like this and the rca would rock around a little and make the sound get loud and quiet when it moved around. Do that and see that both rca's work on the amp. You should notice it get a little quieter with just one rca connected.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Archived