Just testing out some EQ software by equalizing my monitor's speakers.

This is untouched:

This is after a first initial testing and a single pass through a sweep from 0-2kHz aiming for a -30dB line. I'll mess with it more tomorrow and see if I can get rid of some of these valleys and hills.

Edit: I also need to elevate my microphone since it is sitting on the desk that the speakers fire onto.

Curious, what software is that? Did it produce those graphs?

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I'll find out when I get off work.

I use this in conjunction with a software for equalizing for whatever frequencies you want, then I use this program posted to record the SPL of every frequency with a variety of tests IE. Pink noise, but I prefer frequency sweeps -I'll be going to multiple sweeps per graph from now on-, but I don't know of any music that plays anything the way in which pink noise. generates sound.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

This is untouched:

This is after a first initial testing and a single pass through a sweep from 0-2kHz aiming for a -30dB line. I'll mess with it more tomorrow and see if I can get rid of some of these valleys and hills.

Edit: I also need to elevate my microphone since it is sitting on the desk that the speakers fire onto.

I use this in conjunction with a software for equalizing for whatever frequencies you want, then I use this program posted to record the SPL of every frequency with a variety of tests IE. Pink noise, but I prefer frequency sweeps -I'll be going to multiple sweeps per graph from now on-, but I don't know of any music that plays anything the way in which pink noise. generates sound.

Well, I remembered I could just go through my internet history at work -while checking over my shoulders :wackit: - and found the sites.

This is where I believe I got the equalization APO that allows me to equalize whatever sound output or input device I want to individually.

https://sourceforge.net/p/equalizerapo/wiki/Documentation/

This is the website for the making the graphs you saw earlier:

http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

And if you want to you can read this to figure out a good way to equalize headphones, which have a lot different factors to account for than speakers.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

This is untouched:

I've been using EqualizerAPO and a GUI front end called Peace. Will shape your signal however you want it. Only problem I have is that it only works for PCM and I listen to a lot of high res music, most of which is DSD. Can't really process DSD digitally so I'm considering trying to find a old 1/3 octave rack EQ.

And regarding Pink noise vs sweeps, I thought about that a lot too, havne't really had an RTA to test with, but I suspect speakers behave differently when playing mulitple frequencies simultaneously vs one freq at a time. :shrug:

EDIT: cross post. I suspected as much lol

Edited by Quiet
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

I've been using EqualizerAPO and a GUI front end called Peace. Will shape your signal however you want it. Only problem I have is that it only works for PCM and I listen to a lot of high res music, most of which is DSD. Can't really process DSD digitally so I'm considering trying to find a old 1/3 octave rack EQ.

And regarding Pink noise vs sweeps, I thought about that a lot too, havne't really had an RTA to test with, but I suspect speakers behave differently when playing mulitple frequencies simultaneously vs one freq at a time. :shrug:

EDIT: cross post. I suspected as much lol

My main concern is that you are hitting every single object's resonance frequency in the audible range at the same time with pink noise and holding it for an extended time.

I haven't put too much thought into it, but I figure if I end up getting into it enough I can setup some profiles pretty easy with EqualizerAPO.

As for equalizing DSD the only thing I can think off is hardware equalization. Possibly find a old PA rack at a pawn shop, but then you have to live with the quality of a hardware processor.

However I really do like the RoomEQ software, besides the fact that I can get two measurements and then it says I unplugged my mic for some reason. All I do is just restart the program and it works great.

And a side note I may start a dedicated thread for this since I just ordered an Asus/Dolby soundcard and I want to see how the quality/spatial awareness transitions between Dolby's processing and no processing. I have tried it between MSI's onboard ripoff version of Dolby software and it made me loose all sense of direction when testing my headphones (HD 650s) with a David Chesky test album.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

That news story says it was his cell phone, but to me it looks like a zippo

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)