Second Skin Audio

Fi Q 4th Order

Herokight

Just wanted a little input on a box design. I'm not building it for myself or anyone else (yet), I just like to pick a sub and design a box for it when I'm bored.

Sub: Fi Q 12 fully loaded

Box: Trunk 4th order, ported through rear deck with 4" aeros, sub inverted

Sealed side:

sealed_zps52cdf892.jpg

Ported side:

ported_zps7c1e3c12.jpg

Good news? Bad news? Advice? Am I pretty well on target for how a 4th order is designed? The only problem I still have right now is knowing what the parameters of a speaker mean (Qts, etc), but I have no clue how it equates into enclosure design besides the EBP scale.

Lane AKA HeroKight

'96 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4

R.I.P. Molliboo

$200 for new tires, on a jeep!? Is she stealing them or building them with a heat gun and rubber bands?

You hear that????

That's a category 5 shit storm coming

n8: hey you doing today. What's it like being a bitch? you can pm me if you'd like to explain why you arent one. Just like you did for your vs threads.

^^^Rules. Follow them.^^^

You are very low on port

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

So a 4 inch aeroport is too small?

Edit - Hmmm... Would doubling it be enough? I thought aeroports were more efficient so less port area was needed? This is why I posted here for advice.

Lane AKA HeroKight

R.I.P. Molliboo

$200 for new tires, on a jeep!? Is she stealing them or building them with a heat gun and rubber bands?

You hear that????

n8: hey you doing today. What's it like being a bitch? you can pm me if you'd like to explain why you arent one. Just like you did for your vs threads.

Your only way of transmitting output from the box is THROUGH the port though. 4th orders require more port As mentioned, half cone area us a good rule of thumb. If it's a high Xmax sub, like the one you're thinking of using, you won't want to skimp on port.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Your only way of transmitting output from the box is THROUGH the port though. 4th orders require more port As mentioned, half cone area us a good rule of thumb. If it's a high Xmax sub, like the one you're thinking of using, you won't want to skimp on port.

Ah.... Now that you mention it... So around +/- 55sqin is what I'd be looking at?

Edit - Wait... How do people get the tuning they need with the short ports I've seen on most builds? With 2 6" aeros the lowest tuning torres is letting me get is 69hz with the port length being 29" with 6" external.

Lane AKA HeroKight

R.I.P. Molliboo

You hear that????

The Sd of a Fi Q 10 is 310 sq cm according to the Fi website, which is 48 sq inches so half that or around 24 sq in.

A single 6" aero or 2 4" will work good probably. Id go with a single 6" over 2 4" personally, I prefer one larger port over two smaller ports but either should work.

He's looking at running the 12" not the 10". Not that there is a HUGE difference in cone area. It is important though since we are talking about a 4th. Sd on a Fi Q 12" should be 74.5ish, half that would be 37ish. I'd say a range from 32"-40" of port should be a decent starting point.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

The Sd of a Fi Q 10 is 310 sq cm according to the Fi website, which is 48 sq inches so half that or around 24 sq in.

A single 6" aero or 2 4" will work good probably. Id go with a single 6" over 2 4" personally, I prefer one larger port over two smaller ports but either should work.

I was going for the 12, but now that you mention it... The 10 sounds like a better bet. Especially being that if this ever gets built it may be in a car with a small trunk, depending on what I get next.

So for the 10 I could go .5 sealed and this for ported and be fine?

10ported_zps3a9abb2a.jpg

Like I said before, this isn't being built yet, and may never be, but I figured it was time to learn. I like to set challenges when I design too, and the challenges for this were keeping the rear seats without having to fold them down and no cutting, that's the reason I was going with aeroports. Could port through where the rear deck speakers were and glass a rear stage in somewhere else if I wanted to. :fing34:

Lane AKA HeroKight

R.I.P. Molliboo

You hear that????

Archived