Choosing a 3/4 ton diesel for towing..

I agree on Cummins, I would shoot for like an 06 Cummins, your gonna get the third and a half gen (minor face lift), better cummins as stated above, and if you do it right you can build them up to crazy power. The straight 6 motors are and have always been torque monsters. But the Chevy trucks are solid trucks too. Just don't know as much.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

From a mechanics point of view i would highly reccomend a Dodge with a 5.9 cummins either 24 valve or if you can find one the old nuclear proof 5.9l 12 valve. I live dead in the center of oil rig country and i work daily on the diesel trucks that cant handle the abuse very well. Ford 6.0l and 6.7l to be specific. The old Powerstroke 7.3l is a pretty solid diesel, couple of issues with valve cover injector harnesses burning up but ive seen them run with 4 cylinders down. To be honest any diesel out there with proper maintenance and oem parts will last you but my favorite has been the cummins. ive seen 10 to 12 come in for tires here and there with 500 to 750k miles on them and still running smooth on factory engine and injectors. Alot of people have different opinions, this is just my input for you. Not bashing any make of vehicle but i pull 75+ hours a week mainly on he 6.0 powerstroke. Not knocking this truck just with harsh hauling abuse on this side of the U.S alot of High Pressure Pumps, Oil Coolers, EGR Coolers, Injectors, and Fan Clutches go out quite often

I drive F 350's daily, and I love the truck to drive as far as power and especially love the sound they put out. The problem, as stated above is maintenance. My mom owns a 07 allison duramax 3/4 ton that she bought new, and she loves the thing. Never had a problem with it, and pulls her fifth wheel horse trailer/camper along with a couple others and drives it daily to work. Did I mention the fact that I love the sound of the ford?

CARS

14 Sierra crew cab daily, Small build coming one of these days

69 C-10 fleetside in many pieces, won't be done till the end of time

Last car '12 Focus with build log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165619-2012-focus-btl-15-crescendo-sundown-audio-control/

Duramax bro are fuckin beast mode trucks! Turbo charged diesel . Chevy is the only way to go. I have had several chevy trucks all sizes too. Bullet proof an dependable . Plus you can get 500k on a chevy if its treated right. I got a 04 chevy halfton with over 300k miles all original and runs perfect no leaks no smoke . I would go across country now an not even think twice. If that don't say something nothing will lol. Go chevy bro !!! I and Chevys hold a killer resale value no matter the miles as long as its clean.

My friend has a 3/4 2005 duramax excab with 380k plus miles an it screams! Gobbs of torque too! And yes the Cummings diesel are bullet proof trucks BUT there weak weak point are the raggly ass transmission . And fords lmao I won't go there lol sorry ford guys

Duramax bro are fuckin beast mode trucks! Turbo charged diesel . Chevy is the only way to go. I have had several chevy trucks all sizes too. Bullet proof an dependable . Plus you can get 500k on a chevy if its treated right. I got a 04 chevy halfton with over 300k miles all original and runs perfect no leaks no smoke . I would go across country now an not even think twice. If that don't say something nothing will lol. Go chevy bro !!! I and Chevys hold a killer resale value no matter the miles as long as its clean.

all newer diesels are turbo charged, also resale value is high on any make model diesel vehicle not just chevys

Everythings in the attic or garage since the truck was sold last year. New build should be coming soon in a dodge cummins smile.gif

I just prefer chevy compared to any other truck in that class. No doubt ford an dodge make nice trucks that are worth good money . It's just in my experience Chevys tend to last longer an are more dependable in the long run. If I had 50 grand to drop on a pulling truck it would have to be chevy.

my cousin always tears around in my uncle's duramax think its a 2010 and my cousin decided to lay a mile of rubber on the highway (i know my uncle's sister's cousin who knows a guy right lol)

ford has probably the best seats

dodge kinda the middle of the two for seating

like my chevy's seating is alright a lil stiff at first, they have kept with the same transmission for a while so they got it down i hear, like the engines easy to make power with a quality reprogram

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

I'm a ford guy here, but honestly, stay away from a Powerstroke unless it's a 7.3. The 6.0 and 6.4 were notorious for overheating and setting their owners back thousands in repairs. Definitely go for a Cummins or Duramax. I will say I don't have any experience with either one. The only 3/4 ton I drove was my grandpa's 2004 2500HD Silverado. It had the 8.1 backed by an Allison transmission. It was really nice to drive, had tons of power at low RPM's and was nice to be in. Cruised well in traffic and was quiet, even at 80 MPH on the freeway. They used it to tow their 38' fifth wheel cross country for 7 years. They never had a single thing go wrong with it. When I drove it last year it ran just as good as it did when they bought it new in 2004. Didn't do too hot on mileage though. I personally would consider a Chevy for my next truck after driving it.

Archived