Second Skin Audio

Fun With T-Lines

That's clean looking tline bro! I've got a chance to get ab 6.5s an I'm thinking about trying my hand at one also.

Thanks it was really easy to design and build, at least it was compared to some of the 6th orders I'v built. Well, it was until I started having ideas... then the build slowed down....

Here's the progress as of this afternoon:

2013-07-05_17-56-24_19_zps5c620acb.jpg

2013-07-05_17-56-15_566_zps158b72e4.jpg

I didn't want to stuff the line but I wanted to do something to deaden the back wall a bit so I installed some headliner material I had on hand along the back wall of the woofer, about 2/3 of the length of the first part of half of the line. Then I decided I didn't want a speaker wire flopping around in the second half of the line so...

2013-07-05_17-55-40_967_zpsf122d1d1.jpg

2013-07-05_17-55-49_187_zps0a41e054.jpg

2013-07-05_17-55-59_496_zpsb6dbc842.jpg

I drilled the cabinet for the wire, then cut a groove in the floor of the cabinet and epoxied the wire down. It isn't entirely flush but it doesn't stand up much. I've also started feathering body filler on either side of it so when it's done it won't create any turbulence in the line at all.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

cool... I was expecting like a million miles of port... lol... looks swell dude post a video of it doing its thing... I'd love to see it :D

Thanks. I've never done a youtube video but I expect that I'll have to move into the twenty first century some time so I guess now is as good a time as any, lol. I'll try to get some video tomorrow, if I can get the processor set and the door panels back on. Don't want my debut video to be of some half assed looking and sounding ride, do I?

But seriously, I've tested the cabinet again tonight and it sounds pretty damn good. I had to wire it back up to four ohms because the Jibble didn't like one ohm with all that free flowing air around it. Even at that and only getting about 500 watts, it hits hard and loud, although it falls off a bit steeper than I thought it would below 25hz.

That's clean looking tline bro! I've got a chance to get ab 6.5s an I'm thinking about trying my hand at one also.

Thanks it was really easy to design and build, at least it was compared to some of the 6th orders I'v built. Well, it was until I started having ideas... then the build slowed down....

Here's the progress as of this afternoon:

2013-07-05_17-56-24_19_zps5c620acb.jpg

2013-07-05_17-56-15_566_zps158b72e4.jpg

I didn't want to stuff the line but I wanted to do something to deaden the back wall a bit so I installed some headliner material I had on hand along the back wall of the woofer, about 2/3 of the length of the first part of half of the line. Then I decided I didn't want a speaker wire flopping around in the second half of the line so...

2013-07-05_17-55-40_967_zpsf122d1d1.jpg

2013-07-05_17-55-49_187_zps0a41e054.jpg

2013-07-05_17-55-59_496_zpsb6dbc842.jpg

I drilled the cabinet for the wire, then cut a groove in the floor of the cabinet and epoxied the wire down. It isn't entirely flush but it doesn't stand up much. I've also started feathering body filler on either side of it so when it's done it won't create any turbulence in the line at all.

it will look bad ass when done bro! Very clean work . I bet it's going to sound good too

Thanks alot. It sounds pretty sweet right now, although I'm still gonna play with lining a bit more of the line and maybe with stuffing and/or downsizing the exit. ← Not actually a port in the true sense of the word.

And, I've got what I think is going to be an interesting idea for that trim piece that's on there now. We'll see if I'm right, hopefully tomorrow.

A little more progress today but nowhere near as much as I had planned. I did get the speaker wire smoothed out, got the cabinet in prime and stuffed it with some insulation because I didn't have any polyfil around like I thought I did. It's stuffed about 2/3 of the way down the line starting at the woofer and it does sound cleaner than before but it's also not as loud as before. I'm thinking that can be attributed to the poor acoustics of the insulation I used.

Here are a few pictures...

Body filler over the wire that runs across the line:

photobucket-13271-1373165893529_zps063fa

photobucket-10679-1373165904874_zpscd09b

Finished and primed:

photobucket-11046-1373165928342_zps55421

photobucket-11882-1373165939864_zps64063

First coat of primer on cabinet and it's in the truck ready for tomorrow's road trip:

photobucket-10370-1373166059394_zpsfd200

photobucket-7269-1373166072151_zpsaea0bf

And here's the video I promised to try and get up today... even though I didn't get as far along as I said I needed to before a demo. You already know what shape the cabinet is in but I've also changed all the mids and highs out and have not yet calibrated the sound processor, so it's out of balance. The main problem is that I added tweets back into the factory a pillar locations but I don't have them biamped yet so they're sharing 200wpc of old school Earthquake 400TX power with the Neo Pro 8s in the doors. I also added new rear fill (Aura 5.25 coax) to the back doors and again, haven't balanced anything.

Anyway... enough excuses already:

http://s596.photobucket.com/user/bbeljefe/media/photobucket-10700-1373165706324_zps6d5246e4.mp4.html

EDIT: Oh and, I don't know how to embed video here and I couldn't remember my youtube password.... because I've never put a video on youtube, so I put the vid on photobucket. If anyone knows what the video tags are for this forum I'd appreciate it if you'd share that info...

It's stuffed with insulation now because I didn't have polyfil and I wanted to see how it reacted to the line being altered. It actually plays quite well down to 20hz and the infrasonic filter on my amp is set to ~15hz.

As for tuning, it's a transmission line, so it's tuned to the woofer's Fs which is 29hz in this case.

I've got to get proper line stuffing material before it will wake back up. Or, perhaps, get rid of what's in it now.

• 1 month later...

Okay, time for a little update. First, a few words about the video I posted... I was under the false impression that the JBL woofer was a D2, so I had it wired in series. This made it an 8Ω driver and consequently, it was getting about 250 watts. Also, it was late and in my driveway so I didn't want to hit the thing too hard and bother my neighbors. Of course, there was little danger of that happening with the power I was sending it and, I was a bit disappointed with the performance to say the least.

In any event, I got the opportunity to do a few videos yesterday and here they are for anyone who cares. You can see it in the video but, yes, I am wearing my dunce cap:

Another one in the making. This time an SA-15. This line is a foot shorter than the one for the 10 but it's still over twice the size, at ~7.5 gross cubes.

2013-08-18_13-46-05_456_zps5ce70b6b.jpg

2013-08-18_15-16-59_709_zps716687c8.jpg

2013-08-18_18-11-36_505_zpsf250430b.jpg

I actually got it done to the point I could test it this evening, but forgot to take further pictures. I tested with a Skar IXV-15 because I don't have the SA yet. It did well but those woofers cannot take much power, so I didn't get to have any real fun with it. That said, I could tell that it's gonna be a beast even with a so so woofer in the hole.

Archived