Second Skin Audio

help my find an 18 in sub

Hold on here, Isn't saying a 2.5" coil is too small for an 18" cone the same as the old argument about how 18's vs 10's? Like how people say 18's are sloppy and 10's have tighter bass response and so on.

Is the difference of a few grams of weight going to really make that much difference?

Really the coils size isn't that big of a factor, you have to take into account the whole picture. T/S parameters are more important, if someone could show real math using the t/s of the obsidian 18 and prove it is a flawed design then i may be convinced.

I say this because i have seen lots and lots of 18" speakers like in home audio cabinets and such that are like 250 or 150 watts and they work just fine. I'm pretty sure those old 18's from the 90's home audio don't have 3" or bigger coils.

no one here said that there sloppy. And I'm not a expert on subs by no means. I'm just stating my thoughts from my experiences with those subs.

If the motor has enough force to properly push the cone with the 2.5 inch coil then the size of the coil is irrelevant.... and you keep saying the coil isnt the problem but you keep going back to it so make up your mind

Never mind . Don't listen to me at all. Do your best to prove me wrong. So all you guys go but them. Then come post how it works out months down the road. I am done trying to explain how a 18inch sub with a small coil and massive cone is not a good combo .

Hold on here, Isn't saying a 2.5" coil is too small for an 18" cone the same as the old argument about how 18's vs 10's? Like how people say 18's are sloppy and 10's have tighter bass response and so on.

Is the difference of a few grams of weight going to really make that much difference?

Really the coils size isn't that big of a factor, you have to take into account the whole picture. T/S parameters are more important, if someone could show real math using the t/s of the obsidian 18 and prove it is a flawed design then i may be convinced.

I say this because i have seen lots and lots of 18" speakers like in home audio cabinets and such that are like 250 or 150 watts and they work just fine. I'm pretty sure those old 18's from the 90's home audio don't have 3" or bigger coils.

no one here said that there sloppy. And I'm not a expert on subs by no means. I'm just stating my thoughts from my experiences with those subs.

It's an old argument and it relates to what was said here about the cone being to heavy. So i used it as an example as to why it is not as much as a factor as people think it is. Suspension and motor force plays a bigger role than the cone weight.

Never mind . Don't listen to me at all. Do your best to prove me wrong. So all you guys go but them. Then come post how it works out months down the road. I am done trying to explain how a 18inch sub with a small coil and massive cone is not a good combo .

im just saying you keep going back to the coil yet you say its not the issue.. so in your use what do you think the issue was/is you didnt say what you think the issue is since you say its not the coil you just keep bringing that up and nothing else

But the cone on an obsidian compared to an old 18 I bet is a drastic difference . Obsidian makes good subs built well . But I will never waist money on there 18s again until they come out with the v3 18s with 3 inch coil

I probly have stuff people wouldn't agree with about there 12s too. And it's not bad things ether. So I'm not bashing obsidian at all. I love most of there subs. This is just my thoughts on there 18s . Ive have owned some recently so I have first hand experience with em. Take it how you want it I don't lie. Sorry if some disagree with me.

Archived