Sundown Audio

(solved)for unknown reason orion sub putting amp into protect mode.

Terry Lee

hello, this is my first post on this forum and im really hoping you fellas can help me out.

im going to give you all details first so i dont miss nothing,

the car is a 97 ford taurus

head unit is a kenwood kdc 252U
wiring is 0 ga

1 farad capacitor

the subwoofer is a hcca 102 orion 3000 watt sub (1500 rms)
i have 2 amps that are fully working, the original one i use with the sub is a tma 1000.1 1000 watt amp, (came with it)

my second amp is a power acoustik gothic series 1800 watt amp. (ovn2-1800) currently not being used.
my car used to have a factory type amp in the back, that had a long bolt to ground it to, i have stolen that ground for my amp, it is bare metal.

so i bought the orion 3000 watt sub and the tma amp from my friend and he hadnt used it in 2-3 years, its been sitting outside in his garage, so i get that, and at the time i had 4 or 5 ga wire running to my trunk, so i hooked the sub up, and it worked but would go into protect mode when i had it at high volume for long periods of time,

i looked at the amp while this was happening and while it was hitting the protection mode would slightly light up until the sub took to much juice, so the amp wasnt getting enough power through the small power cord. this happend maybe 15-20 times max b4 i got the 0ga and installed it

so now i get the 0, and it seems worse now, the amp is a 1000 watt amp, and i basically put the amp up to its max settings, it has 3 controls, gain - xover - bass boost .... i turn xover and bass boost to the max and kept the gain so it was a lil bit from its max setting.

im not sure why, but when i turn my volume up, bam protect mode, and it happens constantly, i even tried turning down the amp settings and it dont make a difference.

since i have a hcca102 sub i know it can be taken apart, so i took it out of the box for the first time yesterday, and i noticed the speaker wire i thought was the negative that has the line on it, is actually the positive. so ive had the sub hooked up backwards since ive gotten it. which was maybe a month, if even.

there is no scratchy sound whatsoever from the sub, the sub pounds hard as hell until i crank up the volume. i took a brief look at the voice coil when i had the sub out, and it looks fine, im not sure what i would be looking for though.

also, i tried hooking up my other amp, the power acoustik, and with that amp it instantly goes into protect mode when the sub tries to hit, will barely let it hit at all, unlike the mtx the sub still pounds hard untill it gets to loud, so something has to be up with the subwoofer, i just have no idea what.

thank you for your help and i hope somebody can help me solve this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm3qtC_gokg

Turn off the bass boost and turn down the gain and xover.

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw

Turn off the bass boost and turn down the gain and xover.

tried this just now

the same thing will continue to happen when the volume gets turned up. the sub wont hit hard like its supposed to, like it did when it had the 4/5g wire going to it.

you should never EVER have the bass boost or lpf maxed out.

find a multimeter and measure the resistance (in ohms) of the woofers voice coils. both of them should be around 2-2.5 ohms. if its a ridiculously high or low number, then your sub is very likely blown which would cause the amps to go into protect.

also check (in DC volts) the voltage at the amp when you're playing music. low 12's isn't ideal. anything under that, you need to fix something. either a better electrical or find the flaw (if there is one) in the wiring.

stock ground is probably shitty. find a better one like the frame of your car, or maybe the rear strut tower. make sure to sand all the rust/paint off so that its shiny bare metal.

connections can loosen themselves over time. check every connection (dont just look with your eyes) from the battery all the way to the amp. and the ground as well. the lugs. everything that is connected/touching the wire.

Your amps are not 1 ohm stable. You probably have your wired down to 1 ohm.

2003 Tahoe

dc 7.5k

dc level 5 15's (3)

MMats 341's

xs power batts

lots of sky high cable

dual alts(came off the sky-high gmc and don't know who made them)

ipad in center console

vu-din in center console

all being ripped out and being sold

also a possibility. model numbers would help a lot better than (1000w amp) to solve this.

hello, this is my first post on this forum and im really hoping you fellas can help me out.

im going to give you all details first so i dont miss nothing,

the car is a 97 ford taurus

wiring is 0 ga

the subwoofer is a hcca 102 orion 3000 watt sub (1500 rms)

i have 2 amps that are fully working, the original one i use with the sub is a mtx 1000 watt amp, (came with it)

my second amp is a power acoustik gothic series 1800 watt amp.

my car used to have a factory type amp in the back, that had a long bolt to ground it to, i have stolen that ground for my amp, it is bare metal.

so i bought the orion 3000 watt sub and the mtx amp from my friend and he hadnt used it in 2-3 years, its been sitting outside in his garage, so i get that, and at the time i had 4 or 5 ga wire running to my trunk, so i hooked the sub up, and it worked but would go into protect mode when i had it at high volume for long periods of time,

i looked at the amp while this was happening and while it was hitting the protection mode would slightly light up until the sub took to much juice, so the amp wasnt getting enough power through the small power cord. this happend maybe 15-20 times max b4 i got the 0ga and installed it

so now i get the 0, and it seems worse now, the amp is a 1000 watt amp, and i basically put the amp up to its max settings, it has 3 controls, gain - xover - bass boost .... i turn xover and bass boost to the max and kept the gain so it was a lil bit from its max setting.

im not sure why, but when i turn my volume up, bam protect mode, and it happens constantly, i even tried turning down the amp settings and it dont make a difference.

since i have a hcca102 sub i know it can be taken apart, so i took it out of the box for the first time yesterday, and i noticed the speaker wire i thought was the negative that has the line on it, is actually the positive. so ive had the sub hooked up backwards since ive gotten it. which was maybe a month, if even.

there is no scratchy sound whatsoever from the sub, the sub pounds hard as hell until i crank up the volume. i took a brief look at the voice coil when i had the sub out, and it looks fine, im not sure what i would be looking for though.

also, i tried hooking up my other amp, the power acoustik, and with that amp it instantly goes into protect mode when the sub tries to hit, will barely let it hit at all, unlike the mtx the sub still pounds hard untill it gets to loud, so something has to be up with the subwoofer, i just have no idea what.

thank you for your help and i hope somebody can help me solve this.

lol definitely your problem.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

just because the knobs can go to "max", doesn't mean that the amp will give its full clean power then. otherwise why would amp manufacturers even have knobs?

gain is relevant completely to the preout voltage coming from your headunit via the rcas. you could be getting full power from the amp with 0 gain. or half gain. all depends on what headunit you're using.

Also, do you know what gain and xover is? Just a question not being rude. Bass boost is self explanatory but it can also cause you amp to go into protect.

2003 Tahoe

dc 7.5k

dc level 5 15's (3)

MMats 341's

xs power batts

lots of sky high cable

dual alts(came off the sky-high gmc and don't know who made them)

ipad in center console

vu-din in center console

all being ripped out and being sold

you should never EVER have the bass boost or lpf maxed out.

find a multimeter and measure the resistance (in ohms) of the woofers voice coils. both of them should be around 2-2.5 ohms. if its a ridiculously high or low number, then your sub is very likely blown which would cause the amps to go into protect.

also check (in DC volts) the voltage at the amp when you're playing music. low 12's isn't ideal. anything under that, you need to fix something. either a better electrical or find the flaw (if there is one) in the wiring.

stock ground is probably shitty. find a better one like the frame of your car, or maybe the rear strut tower. make sure to sand all the rust/paint off so that its shiny bare metal.

connections can loosen themselves over time. check every connection (dont just look with your eyes) from the battery all the way to the amp. and the ground as well. the lugs. everything that is connected/touching the wire.

HOw do i measure the resistance in ohms of the voice coil? i have a multimeter, and im sure i could google this, figured id ask though.

i know the amp was hooked up to the sub professionaly. the guy that bought it (my friend) payed close to 1000$ for the sub, amp and custom made box, and they set it up and did all the settings correct at the time, for some reason he turned it all to 0 when he unhooked it. im assuming its not at 1 ohm, but i really dont know. i know there is 2 sides of speaker connections on the sub itself inside the box, and as far as i can tell everything looks hooked up right.

also a possibility. model numbers would help a lot better than (1000w amp) to solve this.

i'll get this as soon as i can. shouldnt take me to long

just because the knobs can go to "max", doesn't mean that the amp will give its full clean power then. otherwise why would amp manufacturers even have knobs?

gain is relevant completely to the preout voltage coming from your headunit via the rcas. you could be getting full power from the amp with 0 gain. or half gain. all depends on what headunit you're using.

the headunit im using is a kenwood kdc 252U

Also, do you know what gain and xover is? Just a question not being rude. Bass boost is self explanatory but it can also cause you amp to go into protect.

i do not have any idea. my other amp has multiple knobs though, many more than this one, the closest thing i know is that one will instantly go into protect mode.... i dont know if it matters but my power acustik amp model number ovn2-1800 has "" Level-subsonic-bass eq- hpf-lpf, and the xover is a 3 way switch between hpf lpf and full. other than what ive said i really know nothing.

Archived