Fiberglassing My Own Non-Exhaust Tail Section.

(Copied directly from the bike forum)

First off, I understand that many members of the VFR forums think that the VFR is the most beautiful thing on the planet. That may be true to an extent, but I am on the younger side (mid 20s) and have a knack for owning things with a certain degree of "unique". As a matter of fact, I bought the VFR because it brought a certain edge of unique that I really enjoy. My car is also modified to satisfy this urge-

559503_10150795254030943_388835322_n.jpg

This really came about because I rode several times with the cans off and absolutely loved the way the bike handled and pulled when it was missing that much weight so high on the body. I would have dropped the cans long ago but the tail section looks hideous without the exhaust to fill the large voids. Also, I felt that for a bike that was slow long and sleek it had a really fat rear end! The banana seat coupled with the width of the rear made it look like a fat pig sitting next to sportier bikes. Finally, I tossed a baffle into the cat when I fabricated a slash tip for it, and begun designing how I want the tail to go. Keep in mind, I am right now far from finished, but I can safely say that I am committed enough that I will follow through with it.

**I can go back to stock, although I cut out the heat shielding/plastic which would have to be reattached with a bonding method

****The finished product will still accommodate the passenger grab handles, OEM hardbags, both OEM seat +corbin seat+seatback

-Drew

This was the first look- tail section minus the plastics wrapped in fabric.

20130721_150545.jpg

This is the tail with the frame work in place.

(wood is similar to wood dowel, but much thinner!)

Held together with hot glue

20130726_091912.jpg

This is the framework along with the seat in place.

20130726_091945.jpg

-Drew

This shot is with the initial coat of resin on the fabric- mocking up the grab handles.

20130726_102900.jpg

After the initial coat of resin firmed up- I added pieces of glass just making it strong enough to detach.

20130727_125942.jpg

20130728_184028.jpg

-Drew

IMG_20130731_193850.jpg

First coat of bondo (after several more coats of glass)

20130803_195258.jpg

This is how it sits now- 3-4 coats of glass on bottom with two coats of bondo.

20130805_131452.jpg

once I am satisfied with the bottom I will move to the top and work the top while its on the bike.

Thanks for looking

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

I am still VERY far from over.

But, I started work on the top this morning after doing the lawn work and before heading to work.

20130812_135217.jpg

20130812_135244.jpg

20130812_135258.jpg

There are still pits/voids/out of contours but shooting everything with a light coat of black helps identify areas that really need attention. The downside being, now it becomes easier for the camera to pick up as well haha

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:

Awesome man, IDK what you are doing for turn signal and brake lights but my cb1000r rear tail is similar shape and the integrated lights are 75$ on fleabay. That would keep it clean and look simple but functional. And I think the lines would match up from the pics anyway.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Work looks good. Any plans to make a more uniform gap between the fiberglass piece and the seat though? That odd gaping makes it look strange to me.

Firm believer in letting my cars do my talking!

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

"Black Pearl" Build Thread

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1

Yes, molding the lines to match the seat is in work. The lighting is an all in one bar above the plate with tail /brake aux lights on the back of the passenger peg brackets.

uhoh_45 said:

Archived