Golitan11 Posted August 13, 2013 Report Posted August 13, 2013 I just built my first enclosure (L-Slot ported, 2 cubic feet @ 35 hz) for my Sundown SA-12 and I have a few questions about air leaking: 1. Do I need to use some weather stripping or else to seal all around the subwoofer or it is not necessary? 2. For the upper-back part of the port, I am not able to caulk it because after I put the top panel (last one), the 90 degree part of the port block me access to it so I caulk it from the exterior. Is there any problem with that? 3. Should I caulk all the enclosure from the exteriror also before putting in carpet or it is not necessary? 4. How do you know if there is an air leak? 5. Does air leaks make a noticeable lost in performance? If yes how much? As usual, thanks.
Neckbeard Posted August 13, 2013 Report Posted August 13, 2013 Make sure your box is airtight, always. Caulk the shit out of it, fiberglass resin helps a lot also Build log, Super slow!!: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/168096-slow-neckbeards-1970-opel-gt/
Hellbilly429 Posted August 13, 2013 Report Posted August 13, 2013 No weatherstripping on sub, the rubber gasket seals just fine if screwed down correctly. 2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress) NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors) Stinger FAST Rings Stock Electrical SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers Stock rear speakers MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm Box In Design Stage Stock RadioMy Build Log
bkolfo4 Posted August 13, 2013 Report Posted August 13, 2013 You would not believe how loud a small air leak can whistle!! Seal it up! Current system: 1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s Previous systems: 2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz. 1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.
Hellbilly429 Posted August 13, 2013 Report Posted August 13, 2013 /\/\ what he said, plus usually after time that small leak gets bigger. But if your joints are tight it shouldn't be too big of an issue to not have caulk in that 1 area, most of us just do it for overkill 2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress) NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors) Stinger FAST Rings Stock Electrical SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers Stock rear speakers MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm Box In Design Stage Stock RadioMy Build Log
Jerry G. Peraza Posted August 13, 2013 Report Posted August 13, 2013 The guy who made my box drilled a hole for a direct connection with the speaker cable. It was leaking through there and it was making dog fart sounds when I really turned it up. Sealed it up and my response improved. It may be in my head that it sounds better but its always better to just do it right the first time around.
RooTxBeeR Posted August 13, 2013 Report Posted August 13, 2013 And to, you won't believe the difference in how loud a car is with and without a leak. The easiest way to do it is to put the caulk on your finger and stick your hand in the port and do it. On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said: Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol. On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said: fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said: I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha Soon To Be '04 Ford Escape US Alternator 280A Hairpin D4800 Under the Hood (6) XP3000's in Rear 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply Pioneer DEH-80PRS DD AW6.5 (2) per door *Tweeter Unkown* DD SS4a & C3d (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm (2) 15" Sundown Zv5
Golitan11 Posted August 14, 2013 Author Report Posted August 14, 2013 I just bought some rope caulk and find it a bit thick. Since the carpet will be between the enclosure and the subwoofer gasket, will it help to seal as well (do I really need that rope caulk with that carpet under)? Thanks.
Golitan11 Posted August 14, 2013 Author Report Posted August 14, 2013 Ok I just bought some weatherstripping (instead of the rope caulk). Now should I remove the carpet to let it seal directly with the wood? Should I fix it on the box or on the subwoofer gasket? For the screws I can fix them straight it without damaging the weatherstripping? Thanks, as always.
FCS530 Posted August 14, 2013 Report Posted August 14, 2013 ...The easiest way to do it is to put the caulk on your finger and stick your hand in the port and do it. OK, I just have to do it! THATS WHAT SHE SAID! Several systems, several vehicles. Always changing! 2013 MECA State Champion (trunk 1) 2014 MECA State Champion (mod 4) 2014 MECA state Champion (Park and Pound 4) 2014 DBDRAG 6th place North America Finals (SS1-2) 2014 BASS RACE 6th place North America Finals (139.9)
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.