XS Power

My voltage is fine. Brand new Mechman 370 alt. Yeah it charges a bit high when cold but I've seen people charge hot over 15 with them.

Usually hot around 14.7

Edited by Amart88

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing this for a while and the only sweet smell we usually get from our batteries is the sweet smell of Victory in the lanes!!!

Ok just had too. Never heard of the batteries giving off a sweet smell. You sure it is the batteries? If there is an issue with the batteries and charging they will get hot and you will smell a sulfur egg smell.

Maybe you purchased the upgraded batteries that come with built in air fresheners? If they are XP series then you may hear some gurgling sound when charging until they are broken in good. Some have a small amount of excess liquid in the top of them, and until the plates break in the liquid can not absorb into the glass mat material. After they are broken in the liquid absorbs in and they are stronger than ever.

RealPower800x135_zps58408f90.jpg

I have been doing this for a while and the only sweet smell we usually get from our batteries is the sweet smell of Victory in the lanes!!!

Ok just had too. Never heard of the batteries giving off a sweet smell. You sure it is the batteries? If there is an issue with the batteries and charging they will get hot and you will smell a sulfur egg smell.

Maybe you purchased the upgraded batteries that come with built in air fresheners? If they are XP series then you may hear some gurgling sound when charging until they are broken in good. Some have a small amount of excess liquid in the top of them, and until the plates break in the liquid can not absorb into the glass mat material. After they are broken in the liquid absorbs in and they are stronger than ever.

Thanks for the info on the noises Nathan. Makes me feel better about that issue.

They are awesome batteries that's for sure. :)

I went out a few mins ago and put the charger on them for a top up. The smell was pretty intense this time around. I have not been driving it for a week or so. I opened that hatch and damn. Really strong sweet-ish smell. Not a sulfur smell though.

It almost tingles your nose/eyes. If I am leaning in the back hatch for over 30 seconds I get light headed/ strange feeling that lasts a good bit. Really weird. Can't be a nice gas in there. Almost smells like PL premium when you are laying a bead. Ironically.

I don't know what else it could be besides the batteries. As It smelt like that in my car also. not as strong.

Pull the batts and see if the smell remains.

A container of MEKP didn't spill back there did it? That has kind of a sweet smell and the fumes aren't too kind

Maybe your smeller is broken and it actually does smell like sulfer. Anyone else smelled this and said it was sweet in your vehicle? lol

lol

I don't think it's my sniffer ;) I know what sulfur smells like. This shit almost puts a bitter taste in your mouth after a bit. They are not swollen or getting warm at all.

The other things in there are:

Pl premium (cured)

Titebond 2 (cured)

Amp

Wire

Cured fiberglass resin on whole outside of enclosure.

Dried plasti dip on rear windows.

Smell did not happen until after the batteries are in. Maybe a combination of everything? I'll wait it out and see what happens. Maybe it will fade.

It only gets really strong when the truck has been sitting for a while.

Really don;t have the time or energy to take them out anytime soon unless I have to. As long as it is not hurting anything. The wall is sealed from the front.

Edited by Amart88

Could it be coil smell you are smelling? Possible when you put the batteries in there the amp started making more power and the coils are warming up?

No. I know what they smell like. They do slightly smell when I beat on them for a few. This is a different smell. Richer. I'm busy with college lately so have not had much time to do much.

So even if they were gassing it would for sure be a sulfur smell correct?

Edited by Amart88