Second Skin Audio

Goodbye prefab bandpass, hello simple ported...

CleanSierra

So a buddy I work with let me have his subs so I can build him a box for them, they are Duals that came in a shit bandpass box(if you can even call it that)

So this is the reason for the thread:

The box is complete garbage as I suspected it would be. It's 5/8" particle board, not MDF, which i fully expected. It has crap bracing in the corners. The volumes are WAY off, the plexiglass is leaky as fuck. On top of that, the two subs came with different speaker connections on them. One has nice push terminals, the other has wires soldered directly on the tabs(yuck).

The mind blown aspect comes here:

Each sub is in its own ported chamber and shares(shared) a common sealed chamber. The sealed chamber, which is where a 4th gains its low end grunt, had .4605, before displacement of one sub(which I'm guessing in the neighborhood of .08 cubes. The ported chamber is even worse, they are separated from each other by a wall so they are independent of each other. They are .37 each(one obviously at .29ish with sub displacement. Each chamber has 2 2.75" round ports flared on the outside. The tune on the chamber with the most air is 117 Hz, I didn't calculate the smaller chamber with sub in it.

I seriously can't believe they are allowed to sell such a shitty box. I can't believe it.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Yeah Bro it seems like Dual has never cared for their reputation I wonder why people even buy that crap I started the build on my 1958 GMC I am going to incorporate the bench seat where your back goes into a box. I am literally going to take the back section out of the seat and modify it so it holds two 15 inch subs they are going to be recessed about 4 inches so your back does not touch them one on each side with the port on the middle I have not seen this done before I do upholstery so I will do it in leather after I'm all done I will put padding 4 inch padding to make it nice and soft on your back the bottom of the bench seat skeleton will not be changed just re-upholstered I am excited I came up with something totally different thanks for your help on my original post what do you think about my plan I will start on it this weekend ill post pics for you to see.

How is your mind blown? It's dual, how could you expect anything other than what you found. I'm not suprised in the least.

<>< Collosians 2:13-14, Philippians 4:13, 1 John 4:7-10

2 - JBL W15Gti

2 - JBL BP1200.1

Knu 1/0 Wiring

Kenwood KIV-BT901

Kenwood/Garmin Nav.

I'm not surprised so much that it's 5/8" particle board, I'm not surprised it was completely unbalanced and that one sub had more air than the other, as well as a completely different tune. What I AM surprised about is the lack of tuning. How does this company even manufacture its own subs and choose to put them in such a shit box? I guess they must be picking their subs from some Chinese catalog and just slapping a logo on them. I can't imagine any REAL R&D going on at Dual. Someone is making money though...that is also mind blowing.

I've seen some guys play around with those long ass manipulated port boxes. Efficiency must be shot to ALL hell on a turd like that. The fact that they aren't even representing it correctly is fantastic. They might as well throw "quasi 5th order" or something else into the title to make it sound even MORE exotic. SMH

117 hz?...

you should make a response graph and send it to their R & D department :D

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

lol 117 hz. I bet they sounded like complete crap

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

Oh it gets better Jeff, the side that had the sub ass down in the ported section was in 134 Hz range....

So one chamber at 117ish, the other side at 134. It was a one note wonder. I listened to it first so I could get a baseline for what the improvement will be. I can't imagine the difference a good box will make in this situation. I'm half tempted to build a proper 4th for him so he can see what is SHOULD sound like. I can't find any damn specs on the thing though :(

Archived