Second Skin Audio

Sundown SA-12: less powerful than I tought?

Golitan11

I have a Sundown SA-12 D2 subwoofer, an Hifonics BRX1100.1D amplifier and a Pioneer DEH-X7500S headunit and my friend and I did a comparison of our subwoofers. He has a Kicker L3 12" subwoofer (11VS12L32, with the Kicker box) running from a Kenwood KAC-5001PS amplifier and he is running it at 500W RMS. I run mine at 800W and the bass coming out of the two is barely the same! He has a Kenwood headunit with 2V preouts and my Pioneer headunit has 4V preouts. He run them at maximum subwoofer output level and me at normal (0), but even if I drive them to the maximum, I get only a bit more bass. Even so, I have way more excursion than him and run it in a 2 cubic feet ported box tuned at 35 hz. Also, I tought I would be able to show off with this subwoofer and at least ear it outside the car, but nothing! I have no flex at all and I don't ear it AT ALL outside the car, even windows open (I only ear speakers). I can admit that the bass is pretty solid inside and the miror is shaking like hell (a bit more than my friend with his Kicker L3) but from what I have seen, this subwoofer can flex and be heard outside the car (his Kicker L3 cannot be heard as well). I am really asking me what people that you ear in the street (like Alpine guys) have in their trunks lol now that a Sundown cannot even be heard from 1 meter of the car... What guys do you think? Did you had similar experiences with these? Thanks.

P.S. My friend as an Honda Civic 2000 (subwoofer facing back) and I have a Toyota Matrix 2004 (hatchback, subwoofer facing up).

Different cars make different sounds man. You said it yourself yours was louder inside.. Plus maybe you need to rethink Ur box

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

Have you had your earometer calibrated? maybe its off?

2004 Dodge Ram

Head unit- Alpine iDA-x305s

Sound processor- Clarion eqs746

Mids/Highs amp- Alpine MRV-F345

Sub Amp- Alpine MRD-M1005

Dash Speakers- (3) Dayton Audio rs75

Front Door- Skar SPX65c

Rear fill- Skar SPX tweters and Dayton ND140 midbass

Sub- Fi Audio SSD 15 high QTS

SHCA power/ground cables and Stinger interconnect

XS power D6500 under the hood and D680 in the amp rack

Big 3+ with SHCA

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161174-dodge-ram-quad-cab-fi-ssd15-skar-audio-alpine-shca/?p=2326251

i cant hear my truck when im right next to it, i can feel it.. but not hear it, now from a distance.. it can be heard.. for a while lol

the SA series subs are nice. also underrated. a single 12 isnt really "that" much....

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

Archived