Sundown Audio

Amp is getting very hot ! Need Help!

Austin42156

I would add a second battery and go from there. Also make sure you have a solid ground for your amp because a bad ground can cause problems. Also in my opinion setting gains with a dmm doesn't really work well. I have had better luck tuning by ear. On the songs where your voltage drops a lot listen to see if you hear any distortion. If you do, turn the gain down a bit and see if the distortion persists. If an amp distorts or clips, it will try and work harder than it should which causes your voltage to drop more than normal. But anyways before you get a HO alternator, try a second battery.

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

To answer your question the resistance that needs to be worked in the equation is the resistance of the load at the amp..so its all about how you have your subs wired..of course youre going to bridge the amp for maximum output right? So if you have two 4ohm subs wired in parallel then makes the load 2ohms. So v= square root(watts×2) but if your amo is going into protect mode you may have the subs wired to a higher Impedance than the amp can handle..research your amp and see what it's stable at.

You need trunk space to get groceries and shit...bitches love groceries

And then wire it to get the rms output at the amp closest to the rms power of the subs..example amp 500 watts rms @ 2ohms and subs take 200w rms each.. then wire it to two ohms and you can push 250w to each..but you need to find your clipping volume of your headunit before anything then set the volume a couple below clipping and then you can set your gain with the multimeter

You need trunk space to get groceries and shit...bitches love groceries

You don't need a second battery unless your voltage is dropping below 12 ish (if you said it is I missed that part) because it is your alternator that keeps you above that, not batteries. Adding batteries when you don't have voltage drop that low just adds something else for your alternator to feed.

Btw my advice only holds true when your vehicle is running.

To answer your question the resistance that needs to be worked in the equation is the resistance of the load at the amp..so its all about how you have your subs wired..of course youre going to bridge the amp for maximum output right? So if you have two 4ohm subs wired in parallel then makes the load 2ohms. So v= square root(watts×2) but if your amo is going into protect mode you may have the subs wired to a higher Impedance than the amp can handle..research your amp and see what it's stable at.

you mean lower impedance not higher

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Simple.........sounds like shit back it down.

Trained ears know when it sounds like crap :)

This is true, BUT trained ears can't hear distortion until way after it is actually present.

Op, what is your voltage at the amp when you get on it? Low voltage + too much current demand = way too much heat for the amp.

I have watched my voltage and it usually will stick around 13.8 when I just have the car idling. I tryed out a song with a lot of bass to see how bad the voltage would drop. I played Mercy by Kanye West, my voltage was only dropping to about 13.0 or 13.2 at the lowest. But my exterior and interior lights are still dimming pretty badly. When I play my system for about 15 minutes the middle of my subs will get warm and my amp will also get hot. A second question when working the equation and it is asking my wattage, is it the wattage per one channel or the amps wattage which would be 1800 watts?

- 1995 Pontiac Trans Am

- 5.7 LT1 V8
- Kenwood Excelon x998 Deck
- JL Audio XR650-CSI 6.5" 2-Way Component Speakers (In My Doors)
- Crescendo Audio PWX 6.5" Mid Ranges (Right behind my seats)
- (1) Kenwood KAC-9105d Monoblock Amplifier
- (1) Kenwood X450/4, 4 Channel Amplifier
- (2) Kenwood W3013ps 12" Subwoofers
- Amps tuned with O-scope.
- Stinger Roadkill Sound Deadening
- F.A.S.T Rings by Mobile Solutions
- Phoenix Gold and Stinger wiring

I have watched my voltage and it usually will stick around 13.8 when I just have the car idling. I tryed out a song with a lot of bass to see how bad the voltage would drop. I played Mercy by Kanye West, my voltage was only dropping to about 13.0 or 13.2 at the lowest. But my exterior and interior lights are still dimming pretty badly. When I play my system for about 15 minutes the middle of my subs will get warm and my amp will also get hot. A second question when working the equation and it is asking my wattage, is it the wattage per one channel or the amps wattage which would be 1800 watts?

Isn't your amp a mono block? It would only have one channel if that is the case. The 9105d is not an 1800 watt amp, it is rated at 900W @ 1 ohm I believe.

I don't think your stock electrical can spare the amount of amperage that your amp is pulling. This is what it sounds like.

Also, where/how is your amp mounted? Is there anything really close to it that would prevent it from dissipating heat effectively?

From what I'm understanding if your subs are getting hot in the center(dustcap area) then your voice coils are getting hot thus means you have distortion in your system. Try to find some one with a dd-1 or a oscilloscope. Just because your getting 1800wrms out of your amp does not mean its clean power to your subs so you might have to turn the gain down some. By doing this it won't cause the amp to work at hard to make the power you want and should stop your overheating problem

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Archived