Karkov Posted August 24, 2013 Author Report Posted August 24, 2013 Thanks guys, I understand. i will rethink some things. =) 2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD) 12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option 2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67 3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet) 1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4 4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps (rear fill only) 1 ~ XS Power D4800 1 ~ XS Power D3400 8 ~ XS Power XP3000 160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power 320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0
Kevin M Posted August 24, 2013 Report Posted August 24, 2013 I'm not trying to turn you off to the idea. Quite the opposite. I would like to build a vehicle like barney (van above). Been thinking about it for a long time. You just need a balance of your freq. range. There is also the airspace of the drivers to consider. If you upgrade to 8 15" and then have a wall of speakers in the back you will need airspace for them as well. It all adds up quickly. If I were to run 16 super tweeters I would wire them in 2 groups of 8 in series parallel so they were 8 ohms. Then use a bridged 4 channel that puts out; say 500 watts. That will be halved so each 8 would get around 250 watts. With that many it would be more than enough wattage. You would still need to adjust the gains to match the midrange output. To give you an idea I have a 12" in my door on 120 watts and the horns are getting 30 watts and they are still louder. We are talking about a 12" with a 97 db sensitivity too. Just some other things to consider. 2005 Ford Focus zx4 AMT's and Planars 18" Infinite baffle
Karkov Posted August 24, 2013 Author Report Posted August 24, 2013 I'm not trying to turn you off to the idea. Quite the opposite. I would like to build a vehicle like barney (van above). Been thinking about it for a long time. You just need a balance of your freq. range. There is also the airspace of the drivers to consider. If you upgrade to 8 15" and then have a wall of speakers in the back you will need airspace for them as well. It all adds up quickly. If I were to run 16 super tweeters I would wire them in 2 groups of 8 in series parallel so they were 8 ohms. Then use a bridged 4 channel that puts out; say 500 watts. That will be halved so each 8 would get around 250 watts. With that many it would be more than enough wattage. You would still need to adjust the gains to match the midrange output. To give you an idea I have a 12" on my door on 120 watts and the horns are getting 30 watts and they are still louder. We are talking about a 12" with a 97 db sensitivity too. Just some other things to consider. gotcha, yea I'll do some thinkin and figurin and decidin damn, still louder, impressive for the tweet to say the least, Thanks!! Appreciate it 2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD) 12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option 2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67 3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet) 1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4 4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps (rear fill only) 1 ~ XS Power D4800 1 ~ XS Power D3400 8 ~ XS Power XP3000 160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power 320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0
ham4864 Posted August 25, 2013 Report Posted August 25, 2013 i use the same one's as tooshort0644 (Precision Power PPI PT.2 (PT2)based on his youtube video. since i rock PA mids why not rock PA highs. 2009 bmw 5 series Head Unit Stock Amplifier-JL Audio JX 360/4 Processor- Audiocontrol LC6
Colin - STAPUFT Posted August 25, 2013 Report Posted August 25, 2013 Holy Crap 16 of them?!? I'm not going to lie- that would be fun! For a few seconds it would be a riot, but that would be impossible for daily. Maybe if you had a switch to turn them on just for demos and for fun. Also, I would wire them like ScottishBear said. You don't really want to run really low impedances, even if your amp is capable of doing it. Reason being is that you don't really need to push them full RMS, and the lower you go impedance wise, the dirtier the signal can get.I just got my 4 put in today. Here is the link to the speakers with reviews, prices, specs, etc: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=272-110So- cheap speakers. I have them wired at 8 ohms per pair and they are getting somewhere around 60 watts RMS per pair. At only around 30 watts each (half their RMS) they are stupid. I am going to have to cut my high end like crazy. lolhere you go: 12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro Build & Comment Log Un-Interrupted Build LogYouTube Channel Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.
Kevin M Posted August 25, 2013 Report Posted August 25, 2013 Nice vid Colin. Gotta love the output supertweets have but you have to pad them down. Otherwise they take over everything. lol I guess I'll put one up too. lol This is on 30 watts. Right now they are playing about 5k and up. 2005 Ford Focus zx4 AMT's and Planars 18" Infinite baffle
Azagtoth502 Posted August 25, 2013 Report Posted August 25, 2013 Supertweets pa-pa-platypus sorry not everybody has a companies nuts so far down their throat they catch every drop ball sweat when it falls
Colin - STAPUFT Posted August 25, 2013 Report Posted August 25, 2013 Nice vid Colin. Gotta love the output supertweets have but you have to pad them down. Otherwise they take over everything. lol I guess I'll put one up too. lol This is on 30 watts. Right now they are playing about 5k and up. Nice! Yeah- a little tweeter goes a long way. haha! Supertweets Hater! You supaqueeter party pooper, you. 12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro Build & Comment Log Un-Interrupted Build LogYouTube Channel Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.
TheMonolith2001 Posted August 25, 2013 Report Posted August 25, 2013 I feel like if you are going to use these, your mids better be super loud. By super loud I mean loud as fuck or it's going to sound imbalanced. I have a set of Focal components which are known for having bright tweeters (I have heard get Rainbows if you don't want to deal with that) and I had to turn them down a notch. I can only imagine what these would be like. I'm a fan of Klipsch speakers which are also known for bright highs because they have horn tweeters and they do have loud mids to balance it. (one of the reasons I went with Focals) Do these play lower than normal tweeters as well as being super loud or what? I have never used them but at no point in time was I thinking man I need more tweeter. Maybe this is more of an SPL build type thing?
Colin - STAPUFT Posted August 25, 2013 Report Posted August 25, 2013 ^ I think you are spot on. I got mine for fun and for the 8,000 and up range really. But you are right- they will overpower everything else QUICK like if you aren't careful. I am just inside the 150 mark, and I will tell you that what I had before could still be heard pretty well over the bass. These can be heard easily with the bass cranked- so yeah. I'm not so sure on the playing lower frequencies though. Mine claim to play down to 2k hz or something, but I wouldn't want to hear them try. lol 12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro Build & Comment Log Un-Interrupted Build LogYouTube Channel Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.